Driver installed, but program doesnt see adapter

JTAG software bug report.
Paradroid

Driver installed, but program doesnt see adapter

Post by Paradroid »

Hi there,

I have done a fresh win2000 install on an old Sony Vaio (192M memory, 4G harddrive). Since Microsoft does not support Win2k any more, the highest update I could find was SP4. Online updates are not made any more, I can't use IE6, can't install Acrobat reader, but I won't need all that. I just want this machine to be my JTAG machine.

I installed the Cypress driver, as all other drivers and the full 7M rar archive did not contain anything that Win2k would see as a driver. When I plug in the unit, Sindows will see the adapter, and add an icon for "safely remove" action.

I start USBJTAG NT software, but I can't get to the activation screen: No window opens. If I launch the "about" screen, I only see "no hardware".

What could be wrong?

thanks,
Jens
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

You must install Cypress driver (Not include the in the 7M installer).
Plug in the hardware and when ask the driver go to the Cypress driver directory and pick the driver.
You should at least see USB connected in the software even you do not have the activation code yet.

WinUSB is recommended but it needs XP SP2 and up.

Cypress driver is supported but have not tested for a while. There might be small issues but should not have any problem to be recognized by the software.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

I found that the driver is installed, but it's not loaded. The error code I get in the device manager is 31 - seems to be a dependency.

I even updated the driver from Windows update (Cypress obviously signed the driver and checked it into the Microsoft update procedure), but I still get error code 31 - some driver that this one is based on cannot be loaded. It's just that I have no idea which driver that may be.

Any idea?

Although the Windows update site always reports errors, the automatic update procedure has now installed a total of 97 updates in I-dont-know-how-many-restarts. At least it seems like I get the updates "until july 13th", which is the expiry date of Win2k (and yes, I have the license sticker, it came with the laptop, which is why I use win2k instead of XP). Still, all these updates didn't help, the Cypress driver does not work and USB JTAG NT is not seen ("USB not connected").

Jens
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Install the setup.rar first. Then download the Cypress driver. Plug in USB and when as for drivers install the Cypress driver.

There is another dll under dll directory will point to the right directory to use Cypress driver.

I have tested the Cypress driver under Win XP and Win 98. Win 2000 should not have any problem with it. There self include Cypress driver should be enough.

Just found this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123
You need to manually update the driver and select the Cypress one not the Windows built in driver.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Did I mention that Windows is a major p.i.t.a.??

After looking all over the harddrive for the ezusb.sys driver to manually *un*install and revert back to the driver I downloaded here, I was certain that the driver had not been installed at all.

I manually copied the ezusb.sys driver to c:\winnt\system32\drivers and voilà, the USB device is seen, activation worked fine and I'm ready to try out the thing.

Li, can you eMail me the new xml/script that you created for the Winbond W25Q64CV?

thanks,
Jens
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Paradroid wrote:Did I mention that Windows is a major p.i.t.a.??

After looking all over the harddrive for the ezusb.sys driver to manually *un*install and revert back to the driver I downloaded here, I was certain that the driver had not been installed at all.

I manually copied the ezusb.sys driver to c:\winnt\system32\drivers and voilà, the USB device is seen, activation worked fine and I'm ready to try out the thing.

Li, can you eMail me the new xml/script that you created for the Winbond W25Q64CV?

thanks,
Jens
Will email you new build tonight.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Got the new build, installed all files, but only limited success so far:

I choose the BCM53003SPI config, and the program just quit. I re-started, and the config was chosen OK, so I didn't change it any more. "detect" works fine, the processor and 64MBit serial flash are found. Note that this is a virgin flash, totally empty.

I can execute the script - output shows a lot of "magic pokes" that are supposed to activate the chip's memory.

I can loade CFE using the ldram command - this is visible in the output if I switch to "CFE" view.

When I issue "program cfe" command, the output just hangs on "erase starts..." - then nothing happens for a few minutes. I decided to power down and try again, but the exact same thing happened again.

Could it be that the memory init sequence is not perfect yet? Does it also init the chip's PLLs (CPU frequency)?

thanks,
Jens
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Paradroid wrote:Got the new build, installed all files, but only limited success so far:

I choose the BCM53003SPI config, and the program just quit. I re-started, and the config was chosen OK, so I didn't change it any more. "detect" works fine, the processor and 64MBit serial flash are found. Note that this is a virgin flash, totally empty.

I can execute the script - output shows a lot of "magic pokes" that are supposed to activate the chip's memory.

I can loade CFE using the ldram command - this is visible in the output if I switch to "CFE" view.

When I issue "program cfe" command, the output just hangs on "erase starts..." - then nothing happens for a few minutes. I decided to power down and try again, but the exact same thing happened again.

Could it be that the memory init sequence is not perfect yet? Does it also init the chip's PLLs (CPU frequency)?

thanks,
Jens
1. After select the target the program shut off is fine. On new Linux code this will close.
2. As I said in email you can use "erase" and "sprogram" if the pokes command failed.
3. The pokes command works perfect on the router you sent to me. (the flash is empty). I am not sure if your router is compatible with mine. If not it is a simple script change.

To let you get started just use

Code: Select all

detect
ldram cfe
erase cfe
sprogram cfe
scmpram cfe (optional to verify the programming)
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Tried the "slow" mode, and got a successful "virgin" flash. My board now launches the bootloader and also initializes the ram. With a good CFE in the board, memory is properly initialized, and I can also use the fast mode, which is giving me a superfast 342.22 kBytes per second!

Li, your adapter is nothing less than impressive. This will speed up our development cycles and get rid of all the unsoldering/re-programming/soldering cycles. If you ever come to Germany, make sure to drop by for a drink!

As discussed on the phone, another step will be to implement the parallel flash, but I'll have to treat this with low priority. I want to launch the next hardware spin with more telephony interfaces soon, and I'm in the middle of re-arranging some things on the board (different SLIC chipset).

Consider this support case closed with a *very* happy customer. I'll recommend your product wherever I can.

thanks,
Jens
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

You are welcome. The init script is not perfect and if we made it perfect I think the programming on a virgin SPI flash can get as faster as 300KB/s. This lead to use SPI mode (soldering on the flash chip like we did on SB6120) useless since JTAG can do programming faster than dedicated SPI mode.

Your PC must be faster than mine since I only get 320KB/s. When your router goes into manufacturing you need to work out the initialization sequence so you can use faster programming on the production line.