CDA-RES flashing

JTAG software bug report.
Modem_converter

CDA-RES flashing

Post by Modem_converter »

I'm trying to flash CDA-RES. I keep getting unknown flash type ef,40,17. So, I desoldered and tried loose on my desk, still getting the same thing. The chip is Spansion FL064KIF.

Also, tried to attach a picture, but it keeps saying 'not a valid image file'?! 80kB jpg, shouldn't cause any problems.. Aha, works as a rar..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Modem_converter

Heh, I tried defining several new flash types, none worked. After successfully reading the chip with my old GQ-4X I restarted in USBJTAG, and all of a sudden it was detecting on one of my self defined types.

EDIT: And again it fails. Only detected the once after the GQ-4X read the chip, now just reports ef 40 17 again
Modem_converter

Interesting, ef,40,17 already belongs to W25Q64CV. So why doesn't my Spansion chip detect as that?

Regardless of detecting, it reads fine, here's an xml for CDA-RES. Can't write though.. Is there a way to force writing, like debug mode or something?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

It depends if you are having the chip on board or not. You need to make sure the level of hold and would are good to be able to erase or program. The chip seems to be detect properly other than you might need to define it. You have not indicated which version of software you used.
Modem_converter

Thanks for the help!

Windows 8.1 desktop (also tried Windows 10 laptop), I've updated to 0.82 software (on the laptop it was a full fresh install).

Mostly I'm working on board with direct power to the SPI. I have tried lifting the SPI on a couple of units though, and I get the same thing. These SPI are very annoying to lift--maybe I just need practice :)

I'm holding HOLD# and WP# high all the time, so all 8 pins are connected.

I was just playing with a Tenda router, and had to define a new type. C8,40,15 for a 25Q16BSIG. I was able to copy 25L128 to create a new type for it, and it works perfectly both read and write.

Unfortunately, even though ef,40,17 already exists as W25Q64CV, the CDA-RES will not detect it (whether chip is on board or lifted). Still reads perfectly, but USBJTAG won't attempt to write, it gives the message "Detect the flash type first!"
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Modem_converter wrote:Thanks for the help!

Windows 8.1 desktop (also tried Windows 10 laptop), I've updated to 0.82 software (on the laptop it was a full fresh install).

Mostly I'm working on board with direct power to the SPI. I have tried lifting the SPI on a couple of units though, and I get the same thing. These SPI are very annoying to lift--maybe I just need practice :)

I'm holding HOLD# and WP# high all the time, so all 8 pins are connected.

I was just playing with a Tenda router, and had to define a new type. C8,40,15 for a 25Q16BSIG. I was able to copy 25L128 to create a new type for it, and it works perfectly both read and write.

Unfortunately, even though ef,40,17 already exists as W25Q64CV, the CDA-RES will not detect it (whether chip is on board or lifted). Still reads perfectly, but USBJTAG won't attempt to write, it gives the message "Detect the flash type first!"
We can do a teamviewer to see why it is not detected.
Modem_converter

I'm around if you want to give it a try.. just let me know how to get in touch :)
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Modem_converter wrote:I'm around if you want to give it a try.. just let me know how to get in touch :)
Either IRC or online chat.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

usbbdm wrote:Either IRC or online chat.
After issuing command "cfi 0" the SPI flash detects properly.
"cfi 0" can be put into the script and auto execute each time the software starts.