easy way to block uplink

Backup of earlier posts.
patsfan

easy way to block uplink

Post by patsfan »

Disclaimer!! This is for test only.

You do not need to buy expensive "PPV filter" to block the uplink. Just remove the cable between "RF IN" and "TO RF IN", then connect your cable in signal to "RF IN". Your cable company might call you if they can not ping you.

twistedps

Post by twistedps »

Question about this,
if one were to do this, and normally have basic cable (no need for cable box), then when the cable company poll's it, it shouldnt have a difference correct?
patsfan

Post by patsfan »

cable company only polls paying customers boxes. the reason to block uplink is to be sure your box doesn't talk back if you have modified it. if it's a box you picked up somewhere i would still disable it just to be safe.
superman

Post by superman »

i have seen people say that the boxes will stop working properly if you do this for too long, how true is this?
GTF696

Post by GTF696 »

it's not true
cipher

Post by cipher »

superman,

Thanks for your post, it's a good question.

The CC can shutdown any box if they wish. But they will not just shut down a box because it is not connected correctly. When a box is subscribed they will ping the box from time to time to collect info, retreive PPV data etc. The starvue modem is the device in the box that enables this interactive capability. The cabling described in this post bypasses the starvue modem circuit and then the CC will not be able to manage the box. Some CC's will query the customer about this connectivity problem, but it is not common. The box will not stop working without the CC sending a disconnect or de-authorization command addressing the unit. All authorization and other data still reaches the unit just fine when the modem is bypassed. They cannot detect a box unless the starvue modem performs dhcp address lease on the CC network.

Hope this clears things up for you.
patsfan

Post by patsfan »

superman wrote:i have seen people say that the boxes will stop working properly if you do this for too long, how true is this?

as cipher said it really depends on your CC. some of them will shut down a box after it "non-responds" three times. you call in to find out why your box isn't working and they either fix it over phone or send tech to your house. most CC's will simply log it and let you know a tech is coming over take a look at it.
superman

Post by superman »

thank you for your quick replies, so to my understanding it seems that the box will get de-authed after no replies. but they only do this to boxes that are supposed to be in service right? which means that if you have a fixed box that has channels open and order PPV the company wont try to ping it and therefore it wont get disconnected?
cipher

Post by cipher »

The CC uses a system called a Digitally Addressable Controller E.G. the Motorola DAC6000 to talk to the DTC's. If a DTC is defined in that system and its not authorized it will probably be de-activated at some point in time. This will depend on the system administrator proactivity, available bandwidth, DAC processing power and the network architechture. This can occur weekly, monthly, yearly or maybe never. If the CC sees the activity on a site like this then they will most likely send the deactivate/deauth commands more often.
digitalhead

Post by digitalhead »

so digital boxes talk back to the CC's if you leave the regular connection, how about the old analog boxes, do they talk back to the CC's? Can a CC know if u have the old analog boxes?
cipher

Post by cipher »

I have never seen any analog box that uplinks data back to the CC.
digitalhead

Post by digitalhead »

cipher wrote:I have never seen any analog box that uplinks data back to the CC.
how is it that u could order pay per view from the old analog boxes? how was that possible with an analog box.....doesn't the box have to somehow send a signal to the CC?
patsfan

Post by patsfan »

yep...it's called the telephone. you had to call them and they would auth your box for the movie/event.
timbear

Post by timbear »

The GI/Motorola CFT2000 series baseband analog boxes had impulse PPV functionality on them. Each box could be equipped with a STARPHONE modem module for uplink of data via the telephone or a STARVUE module for RF return of data. A copy of the CFT2000 manual is located at http://www.cablenetwork.net/cabletv/pro ... FT2000.pdf

Tim
patsfan

Post by patsfan »

good thinking. i forgot about these. our CC used those for a while but not the two way capability. problem with them was you had to have a phone connection to the back of you tv to work. i doubt many CC's used the starvue model, but some of the smaller systems may have. if they had a 2way plant they could used dct boxes.