Install Help

Backup of earlier posts.
PurpleJesus

Okay... When's good with you?

Post by PurpleJesus »

I'll get it going for ya... What times are most convient for you? (let me know what time zone too... I'm CDT)
Hammer

New User New Problem

Post by Hammer »

First when I connect the BDM to my system (Dell Latitude LS400 USB 1.1) with XP Pro it does install the USB driver with no problems. Now I connect the BDM to the laptop and it keeps saying it is connected then disconnected.
Now problem #2 when I plug the BDM into the box (2224) it shuts the box off immediately and I have to unplug the power to get the box to reset and come back up. I have tried plugging it in both ways with the same result.
Problem #3 this might be normal but when I try to click on OK after selecting the type of box I want to connect to under tools \ config the program shuts down and I have to restart it, is this normal?
usbbdm

Re: New User New Problem

Post by usbbdm »

Hammer wrote:First when I connect the BDM to my system (Dell Latitude LS400 USB 1.1) with XP Pro it does install the USB driver with no problems. Now I connect the BDM to the laptop and it keeps saying it is connected then disconnected.
Now problem #2 when I plug the BDM into the box (2224) it shuts the box off immediately and I have to unplug the power to get the box to reset and come back up. I have tried plugging it in both ways with the same result.
Problem #3 this might be normal but when I try to click on OK after selecting the type of box I want to connect to under tools \ config the program shuts down and I have to restart it, is this normal?
Problem #2. Once BDM is in, you need to type in command. One will be "reset 1". If you want to run as normal, just type "reset"
Probem #3 is normal to teke the configuration. You only need to config once.
Hammer

Ok got that working....

Post by Hammer »

Ok I was in way to much of a hurry here sorry..... I had the BDM connected with the power on the box before laptop detected the BDM and that does not work. Then I wasn't waiting long enought for the BDM to connect.
Now another problem and I may have messed things up. I had before I started all this the full menu from comcast but it would not update and I had no channels. Now I have basic channels no menu I looked at the diag menu and in the first one i am getting error E00.
cipher

Post by cipher »

hammer,

E00 means no error, your unit is OK. The menu application sometimes takes a long time to reload. They probably had a newer version than what was loaded in the nvram on the menu stream. It should upload automatically.
patsfan

Post by patsfan »

i the diagnostic menu, check number 10 App Code Modules. it will show if any new software is being downloaded or if it already was and is disabled.
Hammer

number 10 App Code Modules

Post by Hammer »

ok reading left to right
0-8-0793 07.93 enabled 0001
cipher

Post by cipher »

Is there only one line? You should have a second line with something like tvg73.04r this is the TV Guide application.
Hammer

If only I had.....

Post by Hammer »

Ok for the "New Guys" being one I know.
Rule 1 Before you do anything and I mean anything remember to go slow and take your time.
Rule 2 Start with your working box because these are the files you will be working with.
Rule 3 The first thing you do is connect the BDM to your computer only and yes it takes time, sometimes 2 or 3 minutes for it to connect to your computer.
Rule 4 Disconnect the power from the cable box then connect the BDM then reconnect the power to the box and do your backup.
Rule 5 Write you?re backed up code to your "new" box.
Follow these and you should not have a problem.

I want to thank the guys in here for the help they provided and the time they took to work with me. I got mine working just by following these simple rules.
Hammer

Receiving basic only

Post by Hammer »

OK I have cloned / copied the firmware and Navram from my working box to my new box but all i'm getting is the basic channels. On my working box I have digital, HBO, pay per view and the on demand. I bought the box off ebay and is an out of state box is there anything I can do to get the digital working at least?
patsfan

Post by patsfan »

xc chip is not auth for premium channels in your local area. nothing you can do with it right now unless you have it subbed to you local CC and then use the the block auth firmware. then call back and cancel the channels.
max

Post by max »

patsfan wrote:xc chip is not auth for premium channels in your local area. nothing you can do with it right now unless you have it subbed to you local CC and then use the the block auth firmware. then call back and cancel the channels.
Patsfan, after reading tons of threads I see many folks are having the same issues as myself. That being said looks like I might try what you suggest and call my cc and see if they will sub my ebay box.

Is there something in particular I should ask them? If I give them the serial # of my ebay box how can I be sure they won't say it's one of thiers and I have to give it back? What would you tell them?

anyone?
patsfan

Post by patsfan »

well that is a chance you take. if the box is their property then i'm sure they will want it back.
max

Post by max »

Chances are good that it would be their box. I mean after all, who's else? It's a motorolla cable box, there's only one cable company around here, they don't sell them in stores for private use, hence, most likely it's one of theirs that got away from them at some point.

How could it not be theirs? And for that matter, I wonder how pawn shops in the area can get away with selling cable boxes and not worry about them belonging to comcast?

I remember calling the cc one time asking if I could own my own DCT ( to avoid rental costs) and they totally discouraged it. Basically they said no.....it's not done yet.

Any insight?

max
tester5

Post by tester5 »

thats on comcast smaller isps alet you do that specialy with DVR's hopefully the jtagusb will work with DVR's