Install Help

Backup of earlier posts.
Mrtvguy

Install Help

Post by Mrtvguy »

Hi everyone,I finally got around to hooking up my bdm or trying at least.Windows xp will detect it and when running the driver setup with the bdm connected and disconnected I get the program o pretty much close and not do anything.I also tried a manual install and windows tells me the driver is not for my device.Any help is apprectiated
Thanx
Tvguy
dotrat

Hmm

Post by dotrat »

What do you have for a USB host/chip?

I have a SIS 7001 which as I found out is one of the worst ones out there. I ran into all kinds of issues with it including the ones you just mentioned.
Mrtvguy

Post by Mrtvguy »

Not sure it is a vaio laptop.I should try an install at home and see what happens.I will see what happens
Thanx for the reply
PurpleJesus

problems connecting the usbbdm

Post by PurpleJesus »

I too am having trouble... I'm using the built in USB controller in the Elite p4ibms mother board(a few years old). it is a usb1.1 Do I need to use a usb2.0? I've tried using the setup program that came with usbbdm software. & i looked at the video and I've been doing what it showed. it doesn't appear to do much. & when i plug the cable in, windows comes up saying it found new hardware. For a while windows xp saw it when i pluged it in, but it gave three beeps. Different from the 'duh deh' it usually does. I went to the device manager and uninstalled it, reran setup, but now i am back to square one.

I know i'm doing something wrong. Somebody wanna tell me what?

PurpleJesus
swordfish62

Post by swordfish62 »

I used to have the same problem, the first day I tried to install my usbbdm hardware.

The only thing that save me was reformat my hard drive completely and reinstall windows, Then, before installing any software like microsoft word etc, I installed the Usbbdm software, then plug in the hardware and windows automatically detect the driver.

Work like a charmed untill today.

P.S. Remember to back up in a disc all your important files before reformat your hard drive and reinstall windows.

I hope this will resolve everyone problem...

:lol: :lol: Check out my teeth :lol: :lol:
PurpleJesus

Post by PurpleJesus »

That's not what I wanted to hear... Now where did i put that disk?? I'll find it edventually... :roll:

Oh just wondering, Swordfish, what happend 'today'?
patsfan

Post by patsfan »

is it showing up at all in device manager? last time i redid my pc the setup didn't work for some reason. so i went into device manager and reinstall the driver manually. it worked right away. just a thought
PurpleJesus

Post by PurpleJesus »

Patsfan,

Yes, it'll show up in the Device Manager as a big yellow question mark. I've tried to install manually but it won't take any of the files in the usbbdm_folder, where the 'setup' utility is.... Maybe I don't know what i am doing. I went down the same path i had to go for my video cards, nic cards, webcam, mice, etc... There is something unique about the bdm driver that I just don't get.

I thought that it might be the motherboards usb 1.1 so i went out last Sunday and got a usb 2.0 pci card.. Plugged it into the motherboard & that card works with everything that allready worked, but faster.

I even went looking for usb sniffer programs... no luck there.

Is it possible to get the bdm driver w/o it being in the setup file... Something that windows would reconize as a driver file?

Starting to look more like a reinstall.. but i know somewhere there is some file i can wipeout and windows won't be all damn "Gatey"

Purple jesus
patsfan

Post by patsfan »

all i did was pick "select the driver location" and browsed to the unzipped usbbdm folder. it found the file on it's own. it will come up that it's not an xp digitaly signed driver, selct continue anyways. usb1.1 should be fine i would think.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

USB BDM should work with any XP and 2000 system. If you find trouble with the installation, the easiest thing to do is to find another machine to see if it works on that system.

To check if the driver has installed properly, simply run the setup.exe and plug the BDM in. (Order is important). USB 1.1 should be fine. The speed used by USB BDM today uses 1.1. But it works under 2.0 board.

If you can not install on any machine, please email me and I will diagnose for you to see where goes wrong.
PurpleJesus

Post by PurpleJesus »

Okay... I've re-downloaded the software. The newest one i could find on the forums. it states it's for 0.53 i believe. extracted all to a new folder. I run the 'setup' and now i get the many beeps when i plug the cable in & the classic "deh duh" beep when i unplug it.

I start with running setup, then...
with the target unplugged ((a GI DCT 2000 CR4 MB - 240684-615-99-RA) Cap 105 cut), plug in the bdm to the target, plug in the target's power, plug the usb to the computer, get the many beeps
run the main usbbdm program... result as always (bdm not connected, bdm off) (I've even re-did the above with the bdm cable turned 180 on the target -just incase) unplug the usb, get the "deh duh" beep (the same one for everything usb that gets unplugged on my system)
tried plugging inthe cable before and after running the main program, but -always- after running setup (never before)

I've called a friend who has laptop running XP.. He's gonna come by sometime in the next few days & I'm gonna try it with his machine to see what happens...

I've got a motorola box here too Haven't opened it up yet (hoping to make a key before i tore the screws up -got an idea... if it works you'll all love me for it).. I figured if i had to fry a box I'd rather it would be the GI before i mucked with the moto box.. Should i go-ahead and try it on that one?

-PurpleJesus of the lost.
swordfish62

Post by swordfish62 »

I bought a key in that web site

http://cableboxnet.com/cable-tv-security-tools.htm

The key name is: Jerrold Linehead #3 Security Tool Bit.

Took 3 days to come to my door...

Good luck
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

PurpleJesus

You do not have to haev box "plugged" to prove the BDM is working.

To test if you have all the software and hardware ready, simply plug in the BDM to PC without the DCT box. The USB port from your PC powers the BDM. You should only hear 2-3 sound of your PC recognize a new USB device. If your friend comes, you just 1. run setup.exe 2. run BDM and see if it ever get "BDM connected". Ignore the "BDM ON/OFF" when you trouble shooting the installation. BDM/ON/OFF tells the target board if it is in debug mode or not, not too much informational since it just test on pin of the BDM.
PurpleJesus

this thread is getting tangled now isn't it?

Post by PurpleJesus »

Usbbdm - Okay... That'll make things easier... I can go over to the other machines to test this w/o dragging the target_boards with me. That's cool.

Swordfish62, I like the bit in the link you left, it looks right... You didn't have any Black SUV's circling your house when you picked it up at the mailbox did ya? -heh

I always have this luck... the things i really want to do are the hardest... go figure...

-Purple Jesus of Lost

Anyways... I should have access to another XP machine by Saturday or Sunday... of course the guy I work with has a Mac laptop & that aint gonna do me a bit of good with this... go figure.

Everybody, I do appreciate your patience with me.. I really do.
swordfish62

Post by swordfish62 »

No purplejesus, there weren't no black SUV's around the house...Do not fear, if a black SUV give you any problem, tell them That I sent you... :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: Check out my teeth :lol: :lol: