Box won't display picture with proper code/nvram

Backup of earlier posts.
GTF696

Box won't display picture with proper code/nvram

Post by GTF696 »

So I made a HUGE opps and I didn't even know how.

I have ph9 Brd I just got. When I receved it it got analog fine. So I went and added the NVram and Flshed the firmware like I have done with 5 other boxs. Well, it went ape shit on me and it took me a while to get it back to normal.

Now it refuses to display an image. No matter how many times I change the NVram and do a conect the box, or upload a working NVram from a box displaying television.

It's not the cable, because every other box works. It has to be the firm ware... I am using the same NVram as in my best box.

What in the firm ware FUBAR's the box so it won't display a picture?

The last time I got it to display a picture, everything was moved up two chanels (Like 7 was channel 9)

I'm confused...
cipher

Post by cipher »

Did you get a good backup of it before working on it?
And if so have you tried going back to it?
Have you done a zero recovery proceedure?
Did you exclude the boot block when you flashed it? (Starting from 406000)
Which flash version did you place on it?
Does it display the diagnostic screen and do you have a status?
Does the LED display work?
GTF696

Post by GTF696 »

No, I was in a hurry and forgot to grab a back up before hand. I got it powering up and acting right with the original firmware found on the forum.

I tried going back to other known working firm ware and still nothing.

I have done the zero recovery proceedure many times...

I did bit not exclude the boot block. I did it exact like the 0 recovery AND a full 400000 200000 program.

I flashed my working firmware back ups, the original and AuthBlckConnect from the website. I finaly got it to work with the original off the forum.

I didn't leave it plugged in enough to download the menu. Although I should do that before I go to bed. Since it has no picture I didn't see a point...

The LED display works fine. It WAS flashing with the ---- And then power cycling durring one of it's fits, but that's gone now and it just displays numbers.
cipher

Post by cipher »

I would avoid flashing the boot block unless its a backup of the unit. There are a number of critical init routines in that address range and they could be board revision sensitive. The original firmware up on the site is a PH8 board and writing to the boot block with it may be your problem.

The 0 recovery does not specify writing to the boot block as shown here.

reset 1
init
ldram 400000
flshdct 400000
program 406000 aa000
program 4c0000 90000

Do you have a backup of a PH9 firmware?
If you don't check with usbbdm he may have one.

I think you need to write a PH9 firmware back to the unit with the boot block and then follow the 0 recovery again.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

The data between 400000 to 405ffff has two parts. Boot block and 128 bytes to replace the EEPROM of old board. This 128 bytes is VERY important in that it holds the configuration of your box. Even you copy from another box with the same board type does not mean it will work. I believe it holds the information described in http://usbjtag.com/bdmjtagbb/viewtopic.php?t=95. Which is DCT2244/XXXX/XXXX. For Ph6/CR4/non PH board, these 128 bytes are stored on seperate EEPROM chip and it is safe to program between 400000 405fff

If you clone an NVRAM and does not work, it is probably the configuration is not working and you can force a reload of EEPROM data by change some bytes in 23ceec to make the checksum invalid and force a reload from your initial configuration. This might solve some boxes that failed to bootup after clone another box.
tester5

Post by tester5 »

one more thing the ph9 boards have diferent turner when u program the nvram do not disturb the last 10000 of the nvram from the original so do not setram over 30000