motorola sb5101 MX chip Issues

This is JTAG to debrick any JTAG device. Modem, cable boxes, dish boxes routers.
p128sniper

motorola sb5101 MX chip Issues

Post by p128sniper »

Im having trouble with the motorola sb5101 modems with the MX chip only. It gets bricked when I try to regular program using haxowere. I can debrick it using the debrick method on here and it debricks fine but i still cant program it. It gets stuck when I do "program code". here is what im doing

1) Detect
2) ldram boot
3) ldram image0
4) program boot (gets stuck here and bricks)

Any other commands I can try, I did also reduce the speed on the program but still didn't help. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

p128sniper wrote:Im having trouble with the motorola sb5101 modems with the MX chip only. It gets bricked when I try to regular program using haxowere. I can debrick it using the debrick method on here and it debricks fine but i still cant program it. It gets stuck when I do "program code". here is what im doing

1) Detect
2) ldram boot
3) ldram image0

Any other commands I can try, I did also reduce the speed on the program but still didn't help. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
You should use "erase" and "sprogram" command for bricked modem. The "program" command is not for a bricked modem.
syankey1970

Post by syankey1970 »

p128sniper wrote:Im having trouble with the motorola sb5101 modems with the MX chip only. It gets bricked when I try to regular program using haxowere. I can debrick it using the debrick method on here and it debricks fine but i still cant program it. It gets stuck when I do "program code". here is what im doing

1) Detect
2) ldram boot
3) ldram image0

Are you debricking it first with STOCK Motorola firmware first? You cannot successfully revive a 5101 with Haxorware. I use the 960k stock moto firm to debrick then i flash hax on top once it successfully boots and i get a freq lock. some 5101's just get bitchy after awhile and you might have better luck as Usbbdm suggested that you sprogram instead of the fast write. I have one 5101 that will brick if i use anything other than sprogram...couldn't tell you why!

try this...
detect
ldram boot
erase boot
sprogram boot
ldram 9fc00000
erase 9fc00000 200000
sprogram 9fc00000 200000

then when it cycles correctly use nt soft and sb5101mod xml to write hax on top
p128sniper

Post by p128sniper »

Well i use the same exact process and comands to program every single time and it only gets bricked with mx chip, not the intel or any other one. So thats why it led me to believe it was something different with the modem that has MX chip instead of the other ones... Also like i said i CAN debrick the modem just fine after i brick it, it just wont allow me to program it because like i said it gets stuck when i do program code. Yes i understand its user Error im still reading and learning .
p128sniper

Post by p128sniper »

Thanks guys but i solved my issue. So for the 5101's that have MX chip i just add steps "erase code" and "sprogram code" like all of you were saying and if its AMD or Intel chip i just use "program code" and works fine. Again thanks and I know you guys said a million times use sprogram instead of regular program lol
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

p128sniper wrote:Thanks guys but i solved my issue. So for the 5101's that have MX chip i just add steps "erase code" and "sprogram code" like all of you were saying and if its AMD or Intel chip i just use "program code" and works fine. Again thanks and I know you guys said a million times use sprogram instead of regular program lol
it is not MX chip that you need "sprogram". MX or AMD or Intel can all be programmed with "program" command.
Only when you bricked the modem then you need to use "sprogram" regardless what brand of flash chip you are using.
p128sniper

Post by p128sniper »

so how come it gets bricked when i use regular program? and remember it only happens on MX chip, so just incase you still dont understand. for example, I have 20 MX chip 5101's and 20 intel chip 5101, i program all the same using regular "program" all 20 of the MX chip will become bricked and all 20 of intel chips will program just fine.... I keep repeating this but nobody seems to understand.....
p128sniper

Post by p128sniper »

Believe me im not wanting anyone to spoon feed me, I also believe you that it doesnt matter of the chip but u have to see it from my point of view and for some reason it only bricks on the MX chip which is why i came to conclusion that it has to be chip. But since you are alot more experinced tester and obviuosly know alot more about it than me I believe you. I know now and trust me i believe you its user error im just trying to figure out what that error can be since im progrmming all modems the same exact way and like im saying only mx chip gets bricked so i dunno anymore im just going to program using sprogram which seems to work for me. Thanks all
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

p128sniper wrote:so how come it gets bricked when i use regular program? and remember it only happens on MX chip, so just incase you still dont understand. for example, I have 20 MX chip 5101's and 20 intel chip 5101, i program all the same using regular "program" all 20 of the MX chip will become bricked and all 20 of intel chips will program just fine.... I keep repeating this but nobody seems to understand.....
There could be only one reason.
The JTAG clock on this chip needs low.
One thing you are missing is that "cmpram" after the program.
If on your MX chip and you have cmpram passed you can never BRICK it.
However if cmpram failed that might be the case. That means at 12MHz your program failed and cause the brick. In this case you can lowered the JTAG clock to 6M or even 3M but still use fast programming algo.