The car engine computer arrived.

This talks about BDM used on card Engine computer
usbbdm

The car engine computer arrived.

Post by usbbdm »

I just received the car engine computer, model 411. The main CPU does not have Motorola mark on it, but from all I have read it is based on MC68332 CPU. The first plug in of BDM do not work. There might be some tweaks of software or even hardware needed to support this module. I will keep updated when I have it working.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

By modifying the clock of the BDM (make it 3MHz) and I can read whole flash of the ECU. I will start to disassemble the code and see if there is anything interesting.
bug

Post by bug »

Now 15 MPG Highway... after Modding it Make It 70MPG, I'll Buy Clock Mod LOL....
konnan

Post by konnan »

BUG... that would be great... 70 mpg
tester5

Post by tester5 »

you can defenelty change settings within reasonable settings so you can save more gas. but you might loose some horsepower. but it more depends on the transmission to. gears and timing. but also dangerous if do not know what you do ..from what i heard on other sites..
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

There is a huge community that talks about it. I was given an ECU to see if BDM can access it. I used the prototype of BDM NT by lower the BDM clock I can read all the firmware. The existing BDM does not allow to adjust the BDM clock. The 6MHz BDM clock is simply too high for the ECU. In fact many MC68332 CPU failed to use USB BDM because the clock is not compatible.

I will not be expert on ECU testing. But looks like an interesting thing to do.
nathusius

Post by nathusius »

Hi, this sounds very interesting, did you make any further progress? I would like to use your interface to connect to engine controllers which have the 68336 and 68F396 microcontrollers; do you think this will be possible? I will gladly order one to try right away, but wanted to check first if you think it is possible! Many thanks
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

You should only wait USB BDM NT.
The current USB BDM uses 6MHZ BDM clock(which is low compared USB JTAG's 12MHZ clock), but it is still higher than most of the BDM device I have tested.
When I first testing BDM on ECU411 (car engine), it does not work, until I use the 3MHZ clock on USB BDM NT it starts to work. So I will say USB BDM NT will be more compatible on MC6833X devices. USB BDM NT will have the BDM clock of 1.5MHZ, 3MHZ and 6MHZ.
The current DCT2224 user can use the fastest 6MHZ BDM clock. (I have tried up to 8MHZ can be supported on DCT2224 but I decided to use 6MHZ in new design).
nathusius

Post by nathusius »

Hi, many thanks for the quick response! Yes, I read your posts about needing the lower clock speed to connect to the engine ECU, but I did not realise that you are working on a new (NT) version of the BDM with selectable clock speed. Have I understood that correctly? If so, do you know when this new version will be available to buy? Do you think that the clock speed is the only problem with connecting to the different 683xx series micros?
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Yes you are right. The new USB BDM (NT) will be released in one week at most. It will be the same time frame when I release USB JTAG NT.
It will have three BDM clock speeds.
nathusius

Post by nathusius »

Excellent news, I will look forward to buying one ASAP!
virus.b

Re: LOL!

Post by virus.b »

15MPG ----> 70MPG??? Is this just a "display" only, and not actually go up to 70MPG does it??

bug wrote:Now 15 MPG Highway... after Modding it Make It 70MPG, I'll Buy Clock Mod LOL....
T_R_J

Post by T_R_J »

What is a good link for more info on programming car computers
0n3.m4n.4rmy

Post by 0n3.m4n.4rmy »

100k miles to 36k miles would be great to J/K :eek: