DCT6412/2005 testing with hdpvr

DCT64XX,DCT34XX
NEC

DCT6412/2005 testing with hdpvr

Post by NEC »

Ok so I just picked up a couple of HD boxes from about 30 miles away. It turns out one of them is a 6412 (non-3) model. I don't have the conventional 14 PIN jtag pads to solder to on this one. From what I have read on this forum nobody has successfully jtagged one of these yet and posted about it. (if I'm wrong I am open to suggestions).

THE GOOD NEWS: In the occult menu the box says "connected." However the OOB frequency is not what my local office uses. (my working units are around 75, this one is around 102). I'm thinking It won't update without correct OOB, right? I only let it sit in the stream for a couple of minutes and figured it would be better to ask before testing further. Can OOB freq be set manually with the remote? I may try doing a cold reset and see what happens.

Any ideas into how to force an update on this would be appreciated. I can't break it if it isn't working and It only cost me 10 bucks anyway.

My goal for this unit (after getting the proper updates to load) is to apply some "advanced testing" to remove the EPG and use it with my new HTPC setup as outlined in the Hauppauge HDPVR tutorial.
cherrymachine

oob

Post by cherrymachine »

it may have been in hunt mode when you saw the 102 freq..when it does find the right oob freq you will see locked on emm data and locked on data then it will update the channel map..HOWEVER disconnect it at this point or it will start to update apps and come back disco'd. if it dont have a jtag port (dont remember on this one) your screwed. If it has a jtag port, you can turn it back on with connect the box...
NEC

too late...

Post by NEC »

I just did a hard reset (I mentioned in an earlier post that I tend to learn the hard way. Did I forget to mention that I lack impulse control?). I'm about 5 minutes into the download status now. I'll watch it close and hopefully achieve the same result. My other newly aquired HD set is a DCH3416. I've been reading and it seems I can't jtag this one either. I'm still trying to determine if any of my equipment will work with JTAG before making the purchase. The DCH box also reads "connect" and IPPV enabled... I'll try your method on this one if I ever get through the download on the DCT6412..
NEC

Post by NEC »

Update: so a couple hours in I have a few random channels but they don't match my guide. The guide data is accurate for my area but what is actually on doesn't match the guide.... It seems my channel map has not updated yet... I'm not gonna leave it plugged in overnight but just wondering how long it usually takes to update the channel map?
cherrymachine

Post by cherrymachine »

3416 should have a spot to put a jtag header pin. if thats the case, you can turn it on with usbjtag nt. look next to where the hard drive plugs into the board. should be 14 pads there to solder a header. use the 64XX config to test. Also if everything is right, channel map will update in less then a minute. tv guide is not the same as channel map. keep reading and keep testing. its all here.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

cherrymachine wrote:3416 should have a spot to put a jtag header pin. if thats the case, you can turn it on with usbjtag nt. look next to where the hard drive plugs into the board. should be 14 pads there to solder a header. use the 64XX config to test.
The pads may be there but If I am Not Mistaken the TDI is Disabled and therefore will not Detect.
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
cherrymachine

Post by cherrymachine »

dont know all the different models of the 3416 or 3412, but i have turned on both after being disco'd
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

cherrymachine wrote:dont know all the different models of the 3416 or 3412, but i have turned on both after being disco'd
I have done Same with 3412 and 6412 However had not had a chanse to try the 3416 So just going on What I have Read about that particular Model. Once i get one in My Hands I will do my Own Testing on them.
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
NEC

Dch3416

Post by NEC »

My dch3416 does have the jtag pad and I already have a pin header ready to solder on. I also read that the TDI is disabled but I guess I will need JTAG to verify this...
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

NEC wrote:My dch3416 does have the jtag pad and I already have a pin header ready to solder on. I also read that the TDI is disabled but I guess I will need JTAG to verify this...
That Is Correct.
NEC

Post by NEC »

Ok so I ordered the usbjtagnt today... I doubt it will work on my dch3416 as I have read that TDI is disabled but will give it a try. I was able to download current firmware, tvguide, and another ap called SCVASTB_ 06.21 (whatever that is) after changing the manually changing oob settings to match my area. It seems my box is hung up on dl04 MACGcInt as it keeps getting error when trying to download. I have a few channels but they don't match the guide as this unit is not from my area.
MrRogers

Post by MrRogers »

NEC wrote:Ok so I just picked up a couple of HD boxes from about 30 miles away. It turns out one of them is a 6412 (non-3) model. I don't have the conventional 14 PIN jtag pads to solder to on this one. From what I have read on this forum nobody has successfully jtagged one of these yet and posted about it. (if I'm wrong I am open to suggestions).

THE GOOD NEWS: In the occult menu the box says "connected." However the OOB frequency is not what my local office uses. (my working units are around 75, this one is around 102). I'm thinking It won't update without correct OOB, right? I only let it sit in the stream for a couple of minutes and figured it would be better to ask before testing further. Can OOB freq be set manually with the remote? I may try doing a cold reset and see what happens.

Any ideas into how to force an update on this would be appreciated. I can't break it if it isn't working and It only cost me 10 bucks anyway.

My goal for this unit (after getting the proper updates to load) is to apply some "advanced testing" to remove the EPG and use it with my new HTPC setup as outlined in the Hauppauge HDPVR tutorial.

I just read this thread and I am glad you took the next step in to testing :D

I gotta hand it to you for doing your homework then getting what is needed, definitely nothing but good decision on your part. You have my courtesy and I would be more than glad to extend you any help you might need in your HTPC setup, I am sure crazymenike will help also but he works all the time so he doesn't get as many chances out of a day to help as I do. But from time to time he is here.

For jtagging those boxes, I am sure it is quite possible (for the one without TDI disabled) to read and to make a backup of it. But from what I have learned is to sprogram, sometimes reading too fast gives you corrupt data, also since the box is always scanning you will get a different flash every time so cmpram will always fail (on those boxes anyways). I guess we gotta wait until Li has time to give us a heads up on his progress with the HD units if he has had any chance to get them working (for UID and UPM) :D

p.s. Have you recieved your USBJtag yet? I am excited to see how well it works out for you. If it does not work for you in this scenario, don't get upset because it will be an invaluable tool for you down the road.
I JTAGGED your mom.
I was told that there is no such thing as a free lunch, I then learned through personal experience that the best things in life ARE FREE - Me

WE ARE ANONYMOUS, EXPECT US.

All posts/topics that I post in are completely hypothetical in real life and should not be taken seriously.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

MrRogers wrote:I just read this thread and I am glad you took the next step in to testing :D

I gotta hand it to you for doing your homework then getting what is needed, definitely nothing but good decision on your part. You have my courtesy and I would be more than glad to extend you any help you might need in your HTPC setup, I am sure crazymenike will help also but he works all the time so he doesn't get as many chances out of a day to help as I do. But from time to time he is here.

For jtagging those boxes, I am sure it is quite possible (for the one without TDI disabled) to read and to make a backup of it. But from what I have learned is to sprogram, sometimes reading too fast gives you corrupt data, also since the box is always scanning you will get a different flash every time so cmpram will always fail (on those boxes anyways). I guess we gotta wait until Li has time to give us a heads up on his progress with the HD units if he has had any chance to get them working (for UID and UPM) :D
That Posibility Look Grim at Best.
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

TUNDRA wrote:That Posibility Look Grim at Best.
stay positive buddy...at least we know why it can't be done yet and where the problems lye ! :D now it's just the matter of tracking down usbbdm, locking him in his office and not letting him out until the job is done !! LMAO:D
live your life like a beer commericial