Victory over DCT3416 Phase 1

DCT64XX,DCT34XX
Killswitch

Victory over DCT3416 Phase 1

Post by Killswitch »

Good evening. I must be on a reasonably good day and will be hoisting down a few Lagers later in tribute. To begin with, I wanna give Props to a guy named CherryMachine who was the first Member to run Testing on the first generation DVR boxes like this . If there were any before him I'm unaware of their presence. Nevertheless, I zeroed an EP 01 box and reconnected BOTH of the tuners - both primary AND the secondary that controls the 160 GB Seagate HD . However, what I recovered has me scratching my head. Before it was Disconnected, this unit was subscribed to Digital Preferred w/ HBO on Xfinity. At first, all of these channels were recovered, but one hour later, I lost HBO and roughly 1/3 of the Basics. Channels like USA and Spike bit the dust. However, all of the Sports related channels along with TBS, TNT and FX hung in there. And, I recovered the Phila. Eagles NFL season that was on the HD. Seems to be a totally random thing - no way to account for what was lost. I didn't think that some of the Basics had a higher status than others. I would bet $ on it. Just to restore a DVR box back to operational status is enuf. I'm on a goodday. Time for a few Molson Ices a little later.
Skillet50

Clear Qam is now encrypted

Post by Skillet50 »

Thought I posted that in one of your threads Titled SOS or something, but yes they have encrypted the Basic Package, so those need what you guys call a key, also. This just happened about 2 weeks ago.... and yes I'm in your area.
And Congratulations on your resurrection of the box.....
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

This box has Keys. Even though Third Party and acquired at a local Flea Mart, was attached to my Account and Activated by Comcast back in August 2013. You're in my area, huh ? You must be across the Delaware River in the Garden State of NJ . I've noticed that you're a genius (so to speak) in reference to Scientific Atlanta units and they CANNOT be had on this side of the River. Often wondered why. Must be a better product and slightly more expensive to buy in volume for the Monopoly. Don't see eye/eye with Comcast. I'm sure you feel the same. Hard not to.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Killswitch wrote:... In reference to Scientific Atlanta units and they CANNOT be had on this side of the River. Often wondered why....
Scientific Atlanta units are just a small percentage comparing to Motorola and Pace boxes. They might be a good piece of hardware but their processing is messed up like hell. Unfortunately, those boxes mostly are incompatible with Motorola headend regions although the newer models include alternative with Motorola M-Cards.
I can tell you that one person from this forum has done hell of a job discovering the process how to download to flash, download to NVM, download to RAM, dump memory, etc. This is still far away from hacking these boxes but not many people that I know off have experimented with those so far. I can't say enough words to describe his patience and enthusiasm in testing of those boxes. That is what I call real testing. These are his words, literally: the difference between success and failure is persistence
Skillet50

Whatever the small timers had

Post by Skillet50 »

I think it all depends on what the start up companies in the area had before Comcast bought them out. I'm waiting for the day I walk in a house and see a SA/Cisco box near the TV.I don't think any of us here see eye/eye with Comcast :) it's more like keeping their eyes off our wallets....
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Killswitch wrote:... I didn't think that some of the Basics had a higher status than others. I would bet $ on it...
Did you take in consideration that some channels may have just changed the frequency? It happened to me that a few channels suddenly disappeared just to pop up on a new ch. number the next day. Like for example CNN was transmitted on Ch.38 for years and a few months ago it changed to Ch.272
Another explanation would be that new programming lineup is in effect and it normally takes a few days for the keys to update based on the tear you have stored. Currently no other explanations come to my mind. You have a lot of unusual things happening to your boxes lately.
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

Yes, Sir - that's a fact, Sir ! Three (3) days later, ALL of my Basics are gone. G-O-N-E ! Like Gone with the Wind. I've come to the conclusion that , by using the same NVRAM that was in there when I was Disconnected sends data to the Security Chip to remove any/all mods done to the box. I'm beginning to believe that I needed to use a fresh, clean NVRAM (the one used was local) to prevent this loss of channels. After Testing was done, it started up at 100%. One hour later, lost the Premiums and several Basics like USA and Spike. On Monday, nothing but clear, local channels. Didn't adjust the Firmware. I'm pissed but won't cry into my Cheerios. Just to have learned that Testing WILL work on First Generation DVR boxes is enuf for right now. A little later, I will expect this bitch to have Basic channels. I'm a reasonable IrishMan ! Happy St. Patrick's Day !
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

Killswitch wrote:... I'm a reasonable Irish Man ! Happy St. Patrick's Day !
I am glad you don't give up easily. Anyway, have a Happy St. Patrick's Day!