Motorola dct 2600 MB

JTAG (NT) on Cable Boxes

Moderator: justsomeguy

dustin21n

Motorola dct 2600 MB

Post by dustin21n »

the display on the box is blinking 8888 and i notice there a ticking noise that is coming from the box. anyone have this problem before?
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

dustin21n wrote:the display on the box is blinking 8888 and i notice there a ticking noise that is coming from the box. anyone have this problem before?
look up bricked box...do some searching and you can get this box up and running again in no time
live your life like a beer commericial
auroden

Post by auroden »

dustin21n wrote:the display on the box is blinking 8888 ...
Well, blinking 8888 means your box can't load it's firmware code from the flash memory which might be just a software problem but sometimes might be a hardware issue.
If you reset the box it will reload its firmware from the headend if connected to the CATV cable. Press Power and Select buttons simultaneously and plug in the power cable, keep it like that for 10 seconds and then release the buttons. After cycling the power, the display should show "0". Now the box needs initializing and if you are a legit cc customer, you may need to ask your provider to hit the box (refresh your account at the headend to re-initialize). That should make the box operational again.
If this is just an unsubbed box for testing purposes than you will need a USBJTAG/USBBDM module. As the previous poster mentioned you should try to search how to reload the NVRAM if any available for this model using the USBJTAG software.
I have never seen DCT2600 but I believe that it is just a standard definition DVR, not sure if it is based on DCT2000 (USBBDM needed) or DCT2500 (USBJTAG needed)
As for the ticking noise it is probably coming from a failed hard disk drive.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

auroden wrote:Well, blinking 8888 means your box can't load it's firmware code from the flash memory which might be just a software problem but sometimes might be a hardware issue.
If you reset the box it will reload its firmware from the headend if connected to the CATV cable. Press Power and Select buttons simultaneously and plug in the power cable, keep it like that for 10 seconds and then release the buttons. After cycling the power, the display should show "0". Now the box needs initializing and if you are a legit cc customer, you may need to ask your provider to hit the box (refresh your account at the headend to re-initialize). That should make the box operational again.
If this is just an unsubbed box for testing purposes than you will need a USBJTAG/USBBDM module. As the previous poster mentioned you should try to search how to reload the NVRAM if any available for this model using the USBJTAG software.
I have never seen DCT2600 but I believe that it is just a standard definition DVR, not sure if it is based on DCT2000 (USBBDM needed) or DCT2500 (USBJTAG needed)
As for the ticking noise it is probably coming from a failed hard disk drive.
It can also be the Power Supply switching the AC outlet as it cycles power.

These are some nice Units. There are able to be programmed with a different tool than the USBJTAG NT. Can be fully protected while maintaining the Guide and DVR Functions Intact. I would not do the Hard Reset if this is a TEST BOX and you dont have a BACKUP....... ;)
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
auroden

Post by auroden »

CAPONE wrote:It can also be the Power Supply switching the AC outlet as it cycles power.
You are right, I missed to mention the power supply (although I wrote it might be a hardware issue). Anyway, if this DCT2600 model is something like a DCT2500 just with an HDD added, than it might have one of the two versions of power supplies. The version that fails most, has a cap 47uF/50V in the primary circuit that dries out within time and replacing it will bring the box alive. This failure's sympthom is fast flashing dimmed 8888 and surely is fixable. This 47uF cap is to be blamed on lots of Motorola DCT/DCH series 3XXX boxes for dead or "flashing 8888" boxes. DCT/DCH 6XXX series boxes with a dead power supply have another cap (1uF in the secondary circuit) that is to be blamed for no power sympthom but there is no flashing 8888. Of course other components may fail but those caps are the most common deffects on these boxes from Motorola.
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

dustin21n wrote:the display on the box is blinking 8888 and i notice there a ticking noise that is coming from the box. anyone have this problem before?
auroden wrote:You are right, I missed to mention the power supply (although I wrote it might be a hardware issue). Anyway, if this DCT2600 model is something like a DCT2500 just with an HDD added, than it might have one of the two versions of power supplies. The version that fails most, has a cap 47uF/50V in the primary circuit that dries out within time and replacing it will bring the box alive. This failure's sympthom is fast flashing dimmed 8888 and surely is fixable. This 47uF cap is to be blamed on lots of Motorola DCT/DCH series 3XXX boxes for dead or "flashing 8888" boxes. DCT/DCH 6XXX series boxes with a dead power supply have another cap (1uF in the secondary circuit) that is to be blamed for no power sympthom but there is no flashing 8888. Of course other components may fail but those caps are the most common deffects on these boxes from Motorola.
the main question here is DID YOU JUST PROGRAM THE BOX ? 99% of the time this problem is due to the person programming the box wrong
live your life like a beer commericial