Okay I have USBBDM NT now what do I do with the DCT2224 box

Include DCT cable boxes and Starchoice boxes.

Moderator: justsomeguy

aw2walker

Okay I have USBBDM NT now what do I do with the DCT2224 box

Post by aw2walker »

Okay I have USBBDM NT now what do I do with the DCT2224 box. I have received the USBBDM NT jtag but don't know where to start. I have 2 dct2224 boxes was working on cc node when I got it.

I dout that it is still turned on but the channel map and code on the box should still be good.

This is what I'm thinking I need to do with these two boxes. On the first box I think I should backup everything I can from that box and change the unit ID, but how do I do that?

Secondly I think I have to clone the first dct2224 box to the second dct2224 box, but how do I do that?

I see alot of code on this website, and I would like to how I can become so proficient like others on this site.

If someone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

One more question, why no stickies on how to get started with USBBDM NT anyway?

Thanks for you feedback on these topic in advance.
ilavu

Post by ilavu »

aw2walker wrote:Okay I have USBBDM NT now what do I do with the DCT2224 box. I have received the USBBDM NT jtag but don't know where to start. I have 2 dct2224 boxes was working on cc node when I got it.

I dout that it is still turned on but the channel map and code on the box should still be good.

This is what I'm thinking I need to do with these two boxes. On the first box I think I should backup everything I can from that box and change the unit ID, but how do I do that?

Secondly I think I have to clone the first dct2224 box to the second dct2224 box, but how do I do that?

I see alot of code on this website, and I would like to how I can become so proficient like others on this site.

If someone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

One more question, why no stickies on how to get started with USBBDM NT anyway?

Thanks for you feedback on these topic in advance.
Go here and watch the video, that is your first step.

http://usbjtag.com/tutorial/dct2000/dct2000backup.php
aw2walker

Okay, I watched the Videos but???

Post by aw2walker »

Okay, I watched the videos but does the unit needs to powered on and connect to a tv and coaxial cable??? For the program to work on backups, cloning, restoring, and cloning.

Or, can I programe the dct2224 box with out any power to it???

Thanks for you feedback in advance.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

aw2walker wrote:Okay, I watched the videos but does the unit needs to powered on and connect to a tv and coaxial cable??? For the program to work on backups, cloning, restoring, and cloning.

Or, can I programe the dct2224 box with out any power to it???

Thanks for you feedback in advance.
The DCT2224 MUST have power on. When you issue command "reset 1" the box looks "dead" and waiting for your command. The rest are optional and I would suggest NOT plug in the cable.
aw2walker

Still not understanding this thing

Post by aw2walker »

Okay, let me try and ask a question again about where to start with the process.

This is what I have done so far. I have pluge the USBBDM into the dct2224 box and then pluge the power cable into the cable box. I typed a "reset 1" into the USB BDM NT software and nonthing happened when I hit "return". I also tried to power on the box from the power button but it did not power on. I unplug the power cord from the cable box and the USBBDM device. Plug the power cord back into the cable box and it powers on now.

Now, my question is, should the cable box be powered on before I plug the USBBDM into the cable box or did I have it right by just plugging in the power cable and leaving the cable box powered down???

Thanks for your response in advance.
ilavu

Post by ilavu »

Nor prefered to plug the usbbdm while power is on. But YES, you can plug the usbbdm with the power on. I had to do that twice too. good luck.
aw2walker

Okay, Just to make sure I got it right this time

Post by aw2walker »

I had the dct224 cable box power cord pluged in and powered the unit on, then I hooked up USBBDM to jtag on the cable box board. The cable box powered down and this is what came up in the USBBDM NT software, and I chose option "1" to get things going.

/////////////////////////////////////////////
// DCT2224
1. Backup flash and nvram
2. Restore flash and nvram
3. Debrick (When normal programming not working)
4. Firmware Testing (PH7/8/9 and type I PH6/CR4)
5. Firmware Testing (Type II PH6/CR4)
6. Detect type for PH6/CR4 and non PH
7. Exit
Please select

backup flash
-getram code

Time 00:00:04 (.395)
-save code
back nvram
-getram nvram
Time 00:00:00 (.930)
-save nvram
Press enter to continue.Spacebar and enter to break....

This box was working on cc when I got it and it should have working channel when hooked back up to cc.

Now my question is how do I stop cc from turning it off?? I read a lot about changing the unit ID but how??

My next question is how to clone this box to another dct2224 cable box.

P.S. Oh yeah, the board in the cable box has PH7 listed on it, and I'm guessing this is related to the firmware somehow from what I read on this site.

Thanks for the great many replies I have receive from this post
aw2walker

While waiting for a reply, I tried option 4

Post by aw2walker »

Here is the out put from option 4 in the USBBDM NT software what does it mean?? I also was given two more option after the program ran its course. Should I choose option "1" to program flash or just ignor it and choose option "2" ??

// DCT2224
7. Exit
Please select

-getram code

Time 00:00:04 (.831)
-firm
not supported
1. Program the flash.
2. Cancel.
Please select

Thanks again for the help on using this new USBBDM NT program. It seems some things have change and I guessing for the better...it really seems easier to use than what I have been reading about.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

aw2walker wrote:Here is the out put from option 4 in the USBBDM NT software what does it mean?? I also was given two more option after the program ran its course. Should I choose option "1" to program flash or just ignor it and choose option "2" ??

// DCT2224
7. Exit
Please select

-getram code

Time 00:00:04 (.831)
-firm
not supported
1. Program the flash.
2. Cancel.
Please select

Thanks again for the help on using this new USBBDM NT program. It seems some things have change and I guessing for the better...it really seems easier to use than what I have been reading about.
This could
1. The code is bad.
2. You are using type II which need to flip the firmware first.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

aw2walker wrote:I had the dct224 cable box power cord pluged in and powered the unit on, then I hooked up USBBDM to jtag on the cable box board. The cable box powered down and this is what came up in the USBBDM NT software, and I chose option "1" to get things going.

// DCT2224
7. Exit
Please select

backup flash
-getram code

Time 00:00:04 (.395)
-save code
back nvram
-getram nvram
Time 00:00:00 (.930)
-save nvram
Press enter to continue.Spacebar and enter to break....

This box was working on cc when I got it and it should have working channel when hooked back up to cc.

Now my question is how do I stop cc from turning it off?? I read a lot about changing the unit ID but how??

My next question is how to clone this box to another dct2224 cable box.

P.S. Oh yeah, the board in the cable box has PH7 listed on it, and I'm guessing this is related to the firmware somehow from what I read on this site.

Thanks for the great many replies I have receive from this post
PH7 ,PH8,PH9 Has nothing to do with the firmware. If it does not recognize the firm ware then you need to download the lates DLL's for it to recognize.
in order to change the UID
you need to do these steps

init
getram code
Then click on the testing tab and click on Firmware test
check your options and enter the Fake UID Once done do following commands
init
flshdct code
program code
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

usbbdm wrote:This could
1. The code is bad.
2. You are using type II which need to flip the firmware first.
He stated its a PH7, If so then theres no need to flip firmware.
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
aw2walker

Okay, I'm starting to understand how to use this program a little bit better

Post by aw2walker »

Thanks for the many replies and help with gettig me going on how to use the USBBDM device and software.

Now, I have read on this site "to keep the cc from turning off your box you need to change the unit's ID". It would be helpful to know the facts about that trick.

TUNDRA, thanks for your reply it was very helpful, but the USBBDM NT software starts up with 7 options. You can look at my earlier post to see them all.

This program is running on version 0.40c also, so I guessing some are still using an older version.

The knew USBBDM NT software program is more optional cammand oriented, which is great for newbies like me. But on to my knew question, I have taken a snippet of my screen and uploaded it on flickr below is the link. I would like to know what to put into the "Fake uint address" box. I need to know what goes here and how many of them to be specific.

aw2walker

Post by aw2walker »

ilavu

Post by ilavu »

A fake unit address is done in the firmware or code.

To do this connect usbbdm to the 2224 and connect it to your pc. Connect power to the cable box. Goto the diagnostic screen on your box. To do this turn the box on, then turn it off and press select to bring up the diagnostic screen. Use the arrow keys to goto 06 and press select to view the firmware version on your box. Then try these commands:

reset 1
init
getram code
save code (save this file as a backup)

Use the pull down menu for DCT2224 Testing and select Firmware Test for the correct version you have. Here you can change the Unit Address. I have read that you can enter any ten digit address, but don't start with 9. Select any test options you would like and click ok.

Now to reprogram the code do this:

reset 1
init
flshdct code
program code
cmpram code

If data is ok then cycle power to the box. You can verify that the address changed in the diagnostic screen by selecting 05.

CREDIT GOES TO JATUCKER FOR THIS INFO.