Dct 2224 Dead

Include DCT cable boxes and Starchoice boxes.

Moderator: justsomeguy

mr.sky

Post by mr.sky »

jimmy5150 wrote:any update on this? I had the excat same issue before and it was the ribbon... i had to hold it at a weird angle all the time...
thnks for the info jimmy
krunkcraig

Post by krunkcraig »

Yes my box died too after using my old usbbdm hardware with the new software!!! After "I think" programming a 2224 and turning off the software unplugging the box and unplugging everything and turning the box back on, it did not come on, AT ALL. Even had USBBDM try to take a look, no luck... I think what happened might have been it said it was done programming and it really wasn't or (maybe i didnt let it finish programming because it was slow and i thought it was done). But I think it had something to do with the new software but probably died because of me.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

krunkcraig wrote:Yes my box died too after using my old usbbdm hardware with the new software!!! After "I think" programming a 2224 and turning off the software unplugging the box and unplugging everything and turning the box back on, it did not come on, AT ALL. Even had USBBDM try to take a look, no luck... I think what happened might have been it said it was done programming and it really wasn't or (maybe i didnt let it finish programming because it was slow and i thought it was done). But I think it had something to do with the new software but probably died because of me.
DCT2224 cannot bricked due to programming. You can always program it back. BDM is different than JTAG and you need a valid backup only.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

usbbdm wrote:DCT2224 cannot bricked due to programming. You can always program it back. BDM is different than JTAG and you need a valid backup only.
A full Erase of the Flash will Brick it for Sure. And a Major Pain to DeBrick.
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
extreme24

Post by extreme24 »

i too am trying to use my old BDM, with new ntjtag software, is there a setting im missing..
it say "usb not connected" "bdm off"
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

you might need to run setup.rar.
ezb73

Post by ezb73 »

usbbdm wrote:DCT2224 cannot bricked due to programming. You can always program it back. BDM is different than JTAG and you need a valid backup only.
DCT2224 can be bricked due to programming if you use a backup from a different PH. (example PH6 to PH8)
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

you guys are taking what usbbdm is saying and just running with it...what i think he's trying to say is that no matter what kind of programming you put on the unit it can still be corrected. which means that the unit isn't truly bricked. it's just f*cked up a bit and can be fixed with a proper valid backup.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

justsomeguy wrote:you guys are taking what usbbdm is saying and just running with it...what i think he's trying to say is that no matter what kind of programming you put on the unit it can still be corrected. which means that the unit isn't truly bricked. it's just f*cked up a bit and can be fixed with a proper valid backup.
That is correct to some extent. If you program incorrect backUp its easy to Fix. However if you fully erase the flash without reprogramming Its a royal PITA to fix. So far No Easy to Follow DeBrick Steps Have been Provided. I have one here that someone Screwed Up and Still have not been able to DeBrick it.
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
ezb73

Post by ezb73 »

TUNDRA wrote:That is correct to some extent. If you program incorrect backUp its easy to Fix. However if you fully erase the flash without reprogramming Its a royal PITA to fix. So far No Easy to Follow DeBrick Steps Have been Provided. I have one here that someone Screwed Up and Still have not been able to DeBrick it.
I have bricked a few DCT224 by putting the wrong backup on them. They're completely dead with no power (BDM off) unable to debrick.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

ezb73 wrote:I have bricked a few DCT224 by putting the wrong backup on them. They're completely dead with no power (BDM off) unable to debrick.
I did a full erase of flash Just to Test. And box went compleatly DEAD. I was Howevr able to DEBrick it. Yet the BDM on or Off worked Normaly. In the one that was given to me for fixing As sonn as I cannect the BDm status goes to OFF and Therefore cant debrick as long as that condition exsists.
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

i've tried flashing different ph's to a box as well....it just stuck on HUNTING...so i ended up reflashing a good back up and all went back to normal...wasn't hard at all. but the bdm on, off was fine as well so it wasn't a problem. i was trying to figure out what if any different ph's could be flashed to the box. can't remember what ph it was originally off the top of my head, but i do remember that none of them worked except the one that matched.

justsomeguy
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

TUNDRA wrote: In the one that was given to me for fixing As sonn as I cannect the BDm status goes to OFF and Therefore cant debrick as long as that condition exsists.
i thought i read in one of usbbdm's posts somewhere that if you change the RPA, RA7 number..or RF number (know what i'm talking about? i'm not sure the correct number off the top of my head sorry...but the numbers when you detect the unit that show up in the top of the interface) to the proper number..either 400 or 460 or something depending on the unit that it will bring the BDM on, off to the proper state....

justsomeguy
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

justsomeguy wrote:i thought i read in one of usbbdm's posts somewhere that if you change the RPA, RA7 number..or RF number (know what i'm talking about? i'm not sure the correct number off the top of my head sorry...but the numbers when you detect the unit that show up in the top of the interface) to the proper number..either 400 or 460 or something depending on the unit that it will bring the BDM on, off to the proper state....

justsomeguy
I changed all the registers on th one I bricked Myu self to Test. and Yes I was able to De brick it.
On the Box that was given to me to Fix I have No Clue what was done to it. However It acts differently from the one I bricked and DeBricked. As Soon as I connect the USBBDM tool it goes to BDM OFF and Nothing Including Setting the Registers gets it Out of the Mode. If you cant Get the Tool To Detect Properly the Box will remain FOOKEED. Theres on ( Jump J200 ) and do this or that to this Model Box in order to DeBrick.
mr.sky

Post by mr.sky »

TUNDRA wrote:I did a full erase of flash Just to Test. And box went compleatly DEAD. I was Howevr able to DEBrick it. Yet the BDM on or Off worked Normaly. In the one that was given to me for fixing As sonn as I cannect the BDm status goes to OFF and Therefore cant debrick as long as that condition exsists.
What I forgot to mentioned, and I spoke with USBBDM about it.
The unit has NO Power, no lights. According to him, the unit should at least
fire up and give you some kind of display. I have 3 just sitting here.
So, when you guys say yours is bricked, do you at least get power to the unit.
And, yes I have changed a good power supply to the unit and still the same.
I get the proper voltages coming out of the harness.