I have a question on DCT2224 unit

Include DCT cable boxes and Starchoice boxes.

Moderator: justsomeguy

aw2walker

I have a question on DCT2224 unit

Post by aw2walker »

I have junked several DCT BOXES, and I have been reading on this site for awhile now trying to get a DCT2224 box working. My thoughts are, if one has a DCT unit all they need to do is clone the NVRAM to watch TV, right?

I have been changing the code and the NVRAM, which kept making these boxes dead after so many tries. I have copied many of the writtings' from this forum. I read that most people say that you only need to clone your NVRAM file if you box has channles and a guide.

I now have another DCT2224 box, and I have cloned the NVRAM file with one from the Chicago area. I live in Fort Wayne, IN. When I hooked the box up for the first time without the cloned NVRAM file all I got was "channle will be available soon". After I clone the NVRAM file from a NVRAM file I download from this site and hooked it back up to cc line, the DCT2224 box move away form the channle will be available soon message. I could see some of the channle names after waitting about 15 minutes. After about 40 mintues of waitting I could see the name of what show was showing and it updated to the correct time in my area.

There was no video or sound, but I'm thinking I must be getting closer to how to get these boxes working on cc.

This box I have now has a PH9 board in it, and my question is do have to change my UID before this box is working? I would like to get channles working before I change UID and block updating of channles.

Do I really need to change my code and NVRAM file to watch TV?
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

did you get the box from your area?? do you have a sub? if you got the box from your area then you prob don't have to copy a NVram from anywhere, people usually just copy nvram if the firmware is outdated and can't get a guide i think ! i don't think you'll be able to get the box working with a nvram from that far away copied to your box..if the box isn't from your area you need to get a NVram from your area (not sure on what models match eachother but it would be best to get the same model as your using). if you currently have a sub then just activate the box with the cc let it update, then unhook the box and block updates and change the UID. some areas need a valid UID and some don't. but this should be done right away or you will loose your sub ! but if all your getting is the message channels will be available soon is probably cause your NVRAM is not right ...please someone correct me if i'm wrong with any of this ....

cheers bud..

o by the way as far as i know you can't really kill a dct2224 ! they can all be brought back as far as i know....

Justsomeguy
aw2walker

Thanks for the reply but, I don't get the message channel will be available soon

Post by aw2walker »

Thanks for the reply justsomeguy, but my earlier post says "I don't get the massage (channels will be available soon) anymore with the clone NVRAM file". I just have a black screen with the channel name and the name of the show playing on that channel. If you are saying I'm on the right track by not programing the box with a new code and nvram file, then thank you for that info. By your post I assuming all I need to do is find the right NVRAM file from my area and I should get channels working after I clone it to the box.

Oh, btw, my box is from ebay and I do not have cable at my home, but a friend of minds does. We are just testing these boxes and would like to get one working.
cherrymachine

copying nvram

Post by cherrymachine »

be sure to use the same nvram as the one you are copying too. you can use the channel map portion of a ph 7 8 or 9 but not the entire file. The tuners are different between the units, and the information for these tuners are in the nvram. If you cross them the tuners wont work.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

Edited by Tundra.
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
rado60657

Post by rado60657 »

Do you still have the NVRAM for Chicago ?
ntek

Post by ntek »

you have to make sure you get a working box from the proximity (same city) where you will be using your cloned box. also some boxes a like ph9 can only have nvram and code from another ph9 box programmed to them. if you program a ph8 nvram and code to a ph9 box, it will not work. you can program a ph8 nvram and code to a ph7 board but you will lose your RCA output and will only be usable via coax to your TV. i've found that ph8 code works with most lower model boxes such as CR4 and ph6 no flipping required. sometimes an older box will give you no video after you program it, but if you leave it connected for 30 minutes or so it will download the new guide/platform and if you're lucky it will begin working.