Security from Hell

Include DCT cable boxes and Starchoice boxes.
Killswitch

Security from Hell

Post by Killswitch »

Good evening. I've seen my fair share of stuff that Xfinity would consider Security related but they're beginning to look like Smokey the Bear and getting ready to start Forest Fires. At least, here in Phila. I've got me a DCT2224 PH8 box that has been experiencing a Reboot Loop at the rate of once a day. And, this box is protected both with a Block of the Deauth command and a change of its UID to match the particulars of what's on my Account. The only thing I haven't done is the 01 01 to 03 01 mod of the NVRAM to prevent Returns coming back to the box. Nevertheless, this box is getting Hit like a Punching Bag in a gym. These fine folks at Comcast would try anybody's patience. I'm casually wondering if using NVTool can mod the NVRAM without needing a Hex Editor to do so. I don't like using Hex Editors - they can kiss my Ass just like the Provider. Goes without saying. Goodday.
syankey1970

Post by syankey1970 »

Just curious as why you guys post so many specific details on your testing methods? How is it a good idea to give the ISP Engineers a roadmap of what you do so they can just throw up a simple blockade in response?

It's been a long time coming and no exploit or vulnerability can last forever...

Security is just going to get tighter and tighter as CC upgrades their networks and they are very quickly getting their shit together, so to speak.

I never relied on just one exploit to test modems and it looks like you are going to have to adopt that testing method to keep testing cable boxes in your area...

They have implementing major, system-wide upgrades throughout my area for months on end and I'm about a year and a half ahead of your area so my advice is to dig in and keep testing for alternative methods while you still can.
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

Dude, would you prefer that I act like a Noob and don't know spit ? Comcast don't know from Adam and there are no deep, dark secrets being Posted here/now. Can you offer any tips on the question, or are you mainlined directly into Modems and nothing else? Answers, please.
mamboswing

Game over!!

Post by mamboswing »

If you are not a true tester its over for you.
I believe the firm, and Nvram mod has been detected on their end. Some may say is a key issue, but I don't think that's the case.
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

Excuse me for asking, but how did the game get to be over? I can get past Reboot Loops on 2224's while I'm handcuffed and locked in chains. I'm just slightly curious what approach to use to prevent Updates from temporarily resetting the STB. Comcast has NOT sniffed this one out. My NVRAM has remained pretty much the same in the last few years. I don't think NVTool can edit strings of data. When I succeed, you'll be the first to know. Testing to continue ..............
syankey1970

Post by syankey1970 »

LOL

Yep,

I'm hardwired into cm's as I don't watch TV unless it came from a private torrent...

I replied because the testing is along the same lines. Read, Test, reboot. repeat as long as it takes to get a result. you have your work cut out for you as CC is a for profit company and they want every cent! My hobby went to shit because everyone posted every little hole they found and Cisco simply countered it!

If you think CC does not frequent these sites and use the posted info to upgrade their security features you are very wrong! That being said...you most likely are not going to get any public responses to your queries, but maybe someone in your area will help you privately. There is always a way!
Happy testing!
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

Once before, I told you that you sounded entreprenurial and you misunderstood. The loyal company soldiers that have filtered onto this site are few and far between and probably out in the "sticks" like Wichita, Kansas or Boise, Idaho. They have MUCH more important things to do rather than patching holes in their foundation. We are the leading edge of anything that goes against their grain. And, just like them, we are few and far between. Connect the dots. You don't need a wide-angle viewfinder on your camera to see this one.
coyote cojo

Post by coyote cojo »

Here In mIami everything is still going fine. My DCt700 still runs great with no hiccup.I dont think its a key issue too is your problem.
moddog

Post by moddog »

I think he need to replace the NVRAM with a up to date one.
Good better best
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

Hey, BarkDog ! The unit was issued and activated in June. Put a snatch/grab on the PH8 and made it mine. Reboots all the time because the fine folks at Comcast update/streamline their system on a 24 hour a day basis. How to get it to stop ? Beats the shit outta me.
moddog

Post by moddog »

It seems like you or the only one who is having this kind of problem, not even the moon guy who always complain about problem like this that your facing.
Good better best
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

Hey, BarkDog ! Me and that Goon are one in the same. I ain't complaining - just looking for responsible answers.
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

are you saying your box keeps rebooting? turning off and on? is that what the problem is?

if that's what is happening it is NOT because the caco is sending hits to the box or trying to update it. it is a problem with the programming that is already currently on the box that will cause that problem.
live your life like a beer commericial
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

I seriously doubt that. This is NOT a Test box with a questionable past. This is an Account box whose NVRAM and Code are as fresh as a Daisy and Up to Date. Funny that Comcast Phila. is still putting these units into the field. I put a Test board with Locals only into the correct IDed chassis and returned that and kept the good Board, It Reboots punctually once a day and I Flash it and Restore it. However, I'm sick/tired of Reboot Loops. I'll sell it, be shed of it and call it a day with this PH8. Has a couple hundred channels including HBO and Sports packages on it. I'll ask a buck and a half ($150) and get it. Not worth the constant attention. Almost feminine.
moddog

Post by moddog »

Killswitch wrote:I seriously doubt that. This is NOT a Test box with a questionable past. This is an Account box whose NVRAM and Code are as fresh as a Daisy and Up to Date. Funny that Comcast Phila. is still putting these units into the field. I put a Test board with Locals only into the correct IDed chassis and returned that and kept the good Board, It Reboots punctually once a day and I Flash it and Restore it. However, I'm sick/tired of Reboot Loops. I'll sell it, be shed of it and call it a day with this PH8. Has a couple hundred channels including HBO and Sports packages on it. I'll ask a buck and a half ($150) and get it. Not worth the constant attention. Almost feminine.
Dude just make service call they will send a tech to come and check.
Good better best