Firmware Updating

Firmware related issues.
jatucker

Firmware Updating

Post by jatucker »

Recently the local caco updated the firmware in the area. They went from 7.96 to 8.09. I lost the tv guide during this time as my box would not automatically update and I didn't even know what the new version was going to be. I tried first reprogramming my backup files to the boxes and without the cable connected I would still have the tv guide but as soon as I connected the cable it would be deleted. What I did find was a section of the nvram which either allows or prevents the box from automatically updating. I was able to copy this section of a ph6 nvram to a cr4 nvram and the boxes all updated the firmware and tv guide apps. I also copied this section from the ph6 to a dct700 and it too updated. This was very helpful as before I did not have a operating dct700 with tv guide. It seems that the location in the nvram moves around from box to box. I don't have nvram from ph7 and ph8 to find the location on those but I will list the location for the rest of them.

cr4 3098 - 30B7
ph6 37B8 - 37D7
ph7 37B8 - 37D7
ph8 37B8 - 37D7

DCT2500 3878 - 3897
DCT700 3878 - 3897

You can use the nvtool to locate and copy these sections from one nvram to another. As long as you have a valid local nvram you should be able to copy this section from one box to another and it should update. Beware that if you allow a box to update you risk losing any premium channels. Maybe if you watch the update and when the firmware update completes the box will reset itself you could disconnect the cable so you can back it up and fake the uid before any damage is done. I allowed mine to update and didn't lose anything but it may be different in different areas. Doing this updated the firmware and tv guide app but not the channel lineup in the nvram.

Correction: The nvram did update the channel lineup.

The OOB frequency will need to be set correctly for this to work. On some boxes you can change this through the diagnostic menu under option 02 OOB Diagnostic and press the menu button when viewing this screen. Older boxes will need to be changed manually in the nvram.
ufo

Post by ufo »

Great post! Wish I had ran across it sooner. It worked and was much needed. Much apprecited. Should make a sticky out of this
joe9877000

Post by joe9877000 »

Can someone elaborate a bit more on this thread. i don't understand what to do. I have a valid local NVRAM Thanks
joe9877000

Post by joe9877000 »

anyone able to explain this a bit more?
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

joe9877000 wrote:anyone able to explain this a bit more?
Very Understandable. If you have a Box that wont take Update Copy Bytes from an Updated box at the Bin Location indicated above to the same location on box that needs Update then the box will take the Update.
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

If you have a valid nvram for the box you want to update you have what you need. This will help you if you say have a valid local nvram for the dct700 but want to make a dct2500 update. I used boxes which I don't care about with the xc chip already deauthorized to download current firmware and nvram. I can then use that firmware and nvram for operating boxes.
joe9877000

Post by joe9877000 »

well, I used to have VOD. But i believe that CC updated the nvram for their boxes couple days ago but mine wasn't updated since i had chosen Block Application Update and Block Channel Update. Now my VOD is not working but my channels are still working. Only VOD isn't working. I get "Communication Error. If error continues, please call .....". So, what can i do about it? How can i fix VOD? I even changed the UID and UPM but still the same problem. I dont have any other boxes to get the NVRAM from it.
Thanks for the help
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

Whether or not you box is going to download the vod client is based on the nvram. When the firmware was updated I'm sure the vod client was as well. Maybe someone else knows where the info in the nvram is stored to download the vod client. I do not. The above section of the nvram will only get you new firmnware and nvram with tv guide, vod is separate download. Best thing I can suggest is either get a local nvram or get a practice box and start testing. I found the info I posted from my own testing. Be prepared to spend some time finding it.
ilavu

Post by ilavu »

does it matter, your nvram and plat is modify by using usbjtag? I mean all the value to watch tv. I am asking because I don't have original backup.

Thanks.
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

I'm not sure what you are asking.
ilavu

Post by ilavu »

OK, I need to update the DCT700 that was purchased from flea market. Connected the jtag and found out that it was previously modified. So do not have original backup of any files(plat, nvram, app...). It is old firmware and need it updated badly. I follow your guide and load the nvram but after 3hrs still nothing. Thats why asking, You need original files loaded to accept upgrade?

TIA.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

ilavu wrote:OK, I need to update the DCT700 that was purchased from flea market. Connected the jtag and found out that it was previously modified. So do not have original backup of any files(plat, nvram, app...). It is old firmware and need it updated badly. I follow your guide and load the nvram but after 3hrs still nothing. Thats why asking, You need original files loaded to accept upgrade?

TIA.
if you have another DCT700 that has update you can just make a backup and clone the flea market one with the updated firmware. No need to wait.
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

The dct700 will take at the most 10 minutes to update itself. 3 hours means something is not right. How do you know that the firmware is old? What version did the box have? What version is being used in your area? What is the problem with the box you are trying to fix? If you are trying to get the box to tune encrypted digital channels be prepared to be let down.

To do what was explained in this post you will need a valid nvram from any dct box. You will need to copy the listed nvram section from the valid local nvram into your dct700 nvram and load it into the box. The box you want to update needs to have a virgin (unmodified) firmware loaded so you know for sure that it is not blocking updates. You can see in the diagnostic screen #10 app modules what firmware version is currently loaded. At the top of the screen if it says ASTB BLDG the box is trying to update. The update process takes maybe 10 minutes. You will also need to be sure that the emmid frequency is set right. You can see in the diagnostic menu 02 what the current frequency is. You shold have a * next to data and emm data and carrier lock shold be yes. If not then the box is on the wrong frequency. If you press the menu button on this screen you can change the frequency, there are about ten you will have to go one by one through all of them until you get the right one. Each time you get it wrong the box reboots, this will take a while. You could also check a friends box to find out the right frequency. If you have a bad signal you may never find the right frequency. You current firmware maybe too old for the auto update as well.

If you know what firmware you need locally we can get you a copy but you need to know which one it is. You will also need a valid local nvram for the channel map. If the box from the flea market is not from your area, your city with the same cc, then you have to get all of these things first. Do you have a local dct700 that works at your house you can copy from? Maybe a neighbor or friend? Needs to be the same city, the closer to home the better.
ilavu

Post by ilavu »

Hey jatucker, Thanks for the really good detail info. Really apreciated because good to know about this hobby more and more for person like me. I am still in 101 class. Now, I feel more educated about this than before. You guys are ROCK. You earn a PRO title in my mind same as TUNDRA, USBBDM.
I will try everything that you explain above my self before ask questions but You will know the outcome.

Thanks.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

Let us know Buddy.