Learning how to.....

NVRAM related issues.
midgetcoach

Learning how to.....

Post by midgetcoach »

I have a DCT2244 PH7 that is and exsub and still active. I was able to get channels 0-100 on it plus a few more. I took a DCT2244 ph8 that was subbed getting basic plus digital and a few premiums and a sports package. Backed up the subbed box then tried to clone the nvram to the exsubed box. Did not work. After trying different code and nvram files from the two boxes and bricking it a few times in between I now have only analog channels. If I load the backup from the exsubed ph7 box back onto it, it will not boot at all. So here it is. I have a DCT2244 ph7 exsub with a saved code and nvram that will not boot. I have a saved code and nvram from a DCT2244 ph8 that I can load and it boots but gets only analog and on top of it all I lost the audio. Any suggestions will be help full. This is the only way I learn to test these, screw them up then try to fix it.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

First on DCT2244 if you have the right backup you can always restore it to its orignal state without problem on PH7/8/9 board. If it cannot boot you do not have a good backup.

Second you should be able to copy PH8 NVRAM to PH7.

There should not be any "bricked" box. If you need help use VNC or logmein so I can take a look for you.
midgetcoach

Post by midgetcoach »

How do we get started?
drknebula

Post by drknebula »

If you copy the NVRAM image from a box that has a differnt model tuner, this can also cause a problem like what you are seeing. There are 2 tuner types -- V86OD and V86ODL. Also make sure these fields in diag. screen under General status match as well:

Platform ID:
Model ID:
Family ID:

When they don't, problems may occur. You will also find the tuner model under the "General status" menu in the diag. screen.
midgetcoach

Post by midgetcoach »

Ok I unstand what your are saying. I was useing the configuration screen from the menu. How do I get the diag screen. Did a search and found topics about it but not how to load it.
midgetcoach

Post by midgetcoach »

Found a post about entering diag screen.

Here is how to go to diag screen.
1. Power on the box wait for the completion of power on.
2. Power off the box.
3. Press the select remote within 3 seconds. (on the front panel, guide key?)

Try it when I get home later.
midgetcoach

Post by midgetcoach »

If you copy the NVRAM image from a box that has a differnt model tuner, this can also cause a problem like what you are seeing. There are 2 tuner types -- V86OD and V86ODL. Also make sure these fields in diag. screen under General status match as well:

Platform ID:
Model ID:
Family ID:
Checked this with my receiver and the one I have the nvram from and both are the same.
If I load the back up files the receiver bricks, if I load the new code and nvram it boots but only gets analog with no audio.
midgetcoach

Post by midgetcoach »

Found this when checking flash;
-reset 1
-R
-init
-getram boot
Usage:getram tabname(address length)
Get the memory from target to PC memory
eg1: getram code
eg2: getram 200000 40000
-flshdct boot
The address does not seems to be a flash Make sure the init value is FF

Which direction from here?
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

You should use
-flshdct code not -flshdct boot.

This command detects the flash type. That will help you latter program the flash chip. If you only want to copy the NVRAM this step is not needed.
midgetcoach

Post by midgetcoach »

Here is the code,
-reset 1
-R
-init
-flshdct code
Found Intel 28F160C3B

Here is where its at; Had a good box that was working. Tried to flash NVRAM to it from a subbed box. After trying different files (combinations) the box will load the original code and nvram but will not boot(no lights at all). If I reload the code form the subbed box , it boots but I only get analog and no audio.
How would I wipe everything and start from the beginning loading this box?
I have the original code and nvram, but my goal is to get the code and nvram from the subbed box to work.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Use this method to backup a good subsribed box
http://www.usbjtag.com/pafiledb/index.p ... view&id=12
To copy it to a non-subscribed box.
Make sure code and NVRAM are loaded.

reset 1
init
setram nvram
flshdct code
program code.

This assumes you copy from PH7/8/9 to your PH7 box. If your box is one of the type II board, the clone of the code will not work.
midgetcoach

Post by midgetcoach »

OK followed last post and found detailed instructions. I now have the video back and channels. Still have no audio. I think from what I have read the problem is in the flash. I want to try a reprogram it. I can get to the flash screen. I can find the flash type, the erase and program boxes are checked, but not sure what to put in the DEST ADDRESS and SIZE boxes? The flash is a intel 28F160C3B. What to put in the boxes?
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

midgetcoach wrote:OK followed last post and found detailed instructions. I now have the video back and channels. Still have no audio. I think from what I have read the problem is in the flash. I want to try a reprogram it. I can get to the flash screen. I can find the flash type, the erase and program boxes are checked, but not sure what to put in the DEST ADDRESS and SIZE boxes? The flash is a intel 28F160C3B. What to put in the boxes?
You should use the command
program start length
or program code

For PH7/8/9 use
program 406000 aa000
midgetcoach

Post by midgetcoach »

I was looking at this,

reset 1
init
ldram 400000 (select firmware to download)
program (select proper flash type)

When I choose to select the flash type is when the box opens to fill in the type and details. I got the type just not the destination and size.

I think this is what I need to do. The receiver turns on and off. The guide comes up but does not update. No time on the front of the revceiver and no audio when the receiver is turned on.
Note:
I loaded the 0793tvr7304rSPI and ph8tvr7304r files to get it working to this point.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Oh, the new software can use flshdct to detect the flash.