Cloned a DCT2224 nvram

Newbie post here.
0n3.m4n.4rmy

Post by 0n3.m4n.4rmy »

http://usbjtag.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?t=374

I was reading a old post from Junctionbox
i was reading your site about coping the firmware and nvram on friday 11-03 -06 i received my bdm i have bdm application set up but tring to figure out how everything work i know reset1 turns bdm on my question is this sir on the menu where do you go to copy firmware and nvram and what do you mean by back up you mean another nvram and firmware from anther box i have a dct2224ph7 from my area. sir im a layman and if possible will you explain to me clearly your answer will help us all neewbies sir :?:

Usbbdm replye with

To copy NVRAM/firmware, you need use getram (retrieve the memory from box) command.

eg.
getram nvram
getram code
save nvram
save code

To copyt the NVRAM to another box use command
setram nvram
to program the target box. use command
flshdct code
program 406000 aa000

Please read the manual first to make sure you understand the commands before you use them.

What is this command of the (program 406000 aa000) I never used this command what does it do thanks .
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

There are TWO types of memory, ram (or NVRAM) and rom (or flash).

When write to ram (NVRAM) the command to use is "setram".
When write to rom (flash) the command to use is "program" or "erase/sprogram".

In the case of DCT2224, the NVRAM address starts at 0x200000
The flash start at address of 0x400000.

If you want to backup/restore NVRAM the command is
getram nvram
setram nvram.

The copy nvram is to "backup from another box and write to this box".
geram nvram (from box A).
save nvram (to a file).

setram nvram (to box B).

Same idea goes to flash.
getram code (from box A)
save code (to a file).
program code (to box B).

Be careful when program the code. Normally I will not suggest to use command "program code".
Use program 406000 1fa000
This way you are protecting the boot block and critical box configuration in the flash.
0n3.m4n.4rmy

Post by 0n3.m4n.4rmy »

Jatucker and Usbbdm I would like to give you guys both a pat on the back for all your help. My software was not 8.0.9 it was 8.0.8 I used the commands below and got the 8.0.8 firmware to stick . I will be giving the box to my buddy to check tonight to see the outcome. Usbbdm thanks for takeing the time to explain about the different ram. I did brick the box but was able to restore it with the files I backed up. Jatucker you were a great amount of help with out you it may have took much longer then it did thanks again guy got a smile on my face :) .

reset 1
init
ldram code
ldram nvram
flshdct code
program 406000 aa000
setram nvram
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

There was another post that indicated for firmware 8.08 to use
program 406000 ba000

beacause it was larger than previous versions which used
program 406000 aa000

Glad to hear you got your box to work.
0n3.m4n.4rmy

Post by 0n3.m4n.4rmy »

I got the box working and loaded with the 8.08 but same issues with no tv guide and sound with no picture on some channels do you think I may need to use the outer command for the larger file ? I tried the sec command and it bricked my box before with the hunt Error what do you think about no guide. Also the box dump was took from a buds box in LA city of Watts and I have the box testing in the city of Compton I checked on the providers channel listing and it seems the listing may be different from area to area do you think this may be the issue ? Some channels in Watts are different then Compton ?
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

The correct nvram will give you the tv guide. From what I can tell all of the apps are loaded from the nvram. Even two nearby cities from the same provider can need a different nvram. If you have a box that you don't care about you can try and get it to load a new nvram. It should do it automatically if you just reconnect it in the nvram and leave it connected to the cable. It doesn't always work though.
0n3.m4n.4rmy

Post by 0n3.m4n.4rmy »

I saw in the dct2224 tools there was a check to block channel updates would it be safe to unchecked that to let the channel update ?
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

0n3.m4n.4rmy wrote:I saw in the dct2224 tools there was a check to block channel updates would it be safe to unchecked that to let the channel update ?
Actually this does not do a lot. Should allow channel update. This check is just try to help understand the platform firmware.
0n3.m4n.4rmy

Post by 0n3.m4n.4rmy »

I sure the software will not put the nvram back to stock so it is just save to reload the same nvram to allow the channels from not taking updates or don't make a differences .