Newbee dct2000/2224/PH8

Newbie post here.
KevvKev

Newbee dct2000/2224/PH8

Post by KevvKev »

Hello I tried to test on a PH8 and I got this ----/8888----/8888/----/8888 over and over, From what I've read I think the box is not from my area and I have tryed two dif set's of nvran from dif area's of the city and nogo.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

KevvKev wrote:Hello I tried to test on a PH8 and I got this ----/8888----/8888/----/8888 over and over, From what I've read I think the box is not from my area and I have tryed two dif set's of nvran from dif area's of the city and nogo.
Most likely the firmware was bad. Re-reprogram a good firmware should fix the issue.
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

KevvKev wrote:Hello I tried to test on a PH8 and I got this ----/8888----/8888/----/8888 over and over, From what I've read I think the box is not from my area and I have tryed two dif set's of nvran from dif area's of the city and nogo.
also make sure the backup's are from the area that you are wanting to use the box in..if they are from far away you might only get extended basic..remember you CANNOT add channels
live your life like a beer commericial
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

justsomeguy wrote:also make sure the backup's are from the area that you are wanting to use the box in..if they are from far away you might only get extended basic..remember you CANNOT add channels
Looks like his box is in reboot loop. He will have to overcome that problem first before he can move foward.......
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
keja

Post by keja »

CAPONE wrote:Looks like his box is in reboot loop. He will have to overcome that problem first before he can move foward.......
What is reboot loop?
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

keja wrote:What is reboot loop?
When the box keeps turning on and off, It happens mostly in the DCT700's and DCT2500"s when a frimware update is trying to update a box that has firmware testing and its uid/upm have been faked.

For example, say you turn on your PC and as soon as you see the Desktop the PC turns off and back on as if you had told it to reboot and continues to do that over and over again. Thats what we call a reboot loop.
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
keja

Post by keja »

CAPONE wrote:When the box keeps turning on and off, It happens mostly in the DCT700's and DCT2500"s when a frimware update is trying to update a box that has firmware testing and its uid/upm have been faked.

For example, say you turn on your PC and as soon as you see the Desktop the PC turns off and back on as if you had told it to reboot and continues to do that over and over again. Thats what we call a reboot loop.
Thx for the explanation, much appreciated.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

keja wrote:Thx for the explanation, much appreciated.
No Problem Buddy.
KevvKev

Post by KevvKev »

CAPONE wrote:Looks like his box is in reboot loop. He will have to overcome that problem first before he can move foward.......
Thanks for the help usbbdm and Capone. first the reboot loop if its trying to update then I will let it do so for a few hour's. Then if that's no good them I will get a different firmware and try again.
lafraga

Post by lafraga »

KevvKev wrote:Thanks for the help usbbdm and Capone. first the reboot loop if its trying to update then I will let it do so for a few hour's. Then if that's no good them I will get a different firmware and try again.
if the firmware testing is done on this box it will not take the update even if you leave it connected for hours, days , or anything

just do what the guys have told you.
write a good frimware to it and then connect it with out firmware testing and then it will update in like arround 20-45 minutes if the firmware you have is lower than the 8.55
Get rich or die trying
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

KevvKev wrote:Thanks for the help usbbdm and Capone. first the reboot loop if its trying to update then I will let it do so for a few hour's. Then if that's no good them I will get a different firmware and try again.
no point in just letting it sit..do a search on reboot, or 8888, or try a few differnt things and you will find many many posts on the subject. it's an easy fix
live your life like a beer commericial
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

It can be many more things, It may be a reboot loop, It can be a defective Power supply, It can be defective capacitors on the MOBO, or a currupt flash. The point is, you need to start somewhere, make a List of posible Causes of the problem then work on each one at a time to rule them out untill you find the cause of the problem and resolve the Problem. It can turn out to be simple or it can turn out to be complicated. Just take it one step at a time.

P.S

And if you Get fustrated, Put it aside and forget about it till the next day. Trying to fix somthing while fustrated is a BAD COMBINATION......... ;)
KevvKev

Post by KevvKev »

CAPONE wrote:It can be many more things, It may be a reboot loop, It can be a defective Power supply, It can be defective capacitors on the MOBO, of a currupt flash. The point is, you need to start somewhere, make a List of posible Causes of the problem then work on each one at a time to rule them out untill you find the cause of the problem and resolve the Problem. It can turn out to be simple or it can turn out to be complicated. Just take it one step at a time.

P.S

And if you Get fustrated, Put it aside and forget about it till the next day. Trying to fix somthing while fustrated is a BAD COMBINATION......... ;)

Ok thanks for all your help And I have read up on everything related and un related to this Problem and still end up with the same message 8888/---- so Yes I am giving up on this box and pass it on to another tester to see if they can bring it back to life.

Again Thanks and I will let you know what becomes of it.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

lafraga wrote:if the firmware testing is done on this box it will not take the update even if you leave it connected for hours, days , or anything

just do what the guys have told you.
write a good frimware to it and then connect it with out firmware testing and then it will update in like arround 20-45 minutes if the firmware you have is lower than the 8.55
Really? On a DCT2000 Series??????????????? :rolleyes:
Rob0108

Post by Rob0108 »

correction to one of the replay's you got,
if the the box has the firmware testing on it, And its a 2000 series it will take the firmware update and it will also get turn off or d'subbed. :o