A little point to a good start please!

Newbies post here.
7074Ln00b

A little point to a good start please!

Post by 7074Ln00b »

Hi, I used to frequent this site in the cable box section then the ISP blocked the site and it became a bother to browse and read, the caco also changes the video keys at least every two months so I gave up on that testing. I am interested in the cable modem testing though and we use the Arris TM602G here but I've seen someone use a DPC2100. My first question is which of the DPC2100 should I get (r2 or not)? or should the SB5100 or SB5101 work just the same also? Then of course I need to read the basics, I've already read the pages wrt connections and programming but I'm confused about all these certs and change mac discussions. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

7074Ln00b wrote:Hi, I used to frequent this site in the cable box section then the ISP blocked the site and it became a bother to browse and read, the caco also changes the video keys at least every two months so I gave up on that testing. I am interested in the cable modem testing though and we use the Arris TM602G here but I've seen someone use a DPC2100. My first question is which of the DPC2100 should I get (r2 or not)? or should the SB5100 or SB5101 work just the same also? Then of course I need to read the basics, I've already read the pages wrt connections and programming but I'm confused about all these certs and change mac discussions. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
The R2's have the BCM3349 just like the Sb5101. Stay away from the DPC2100 with BCM3348......... About your confusion, Is only confusing if you have never deal with Modems, and there fore as you stated, You need to read the Basics, More then the Basics....... To say the Least, Your EXTREAMLY LATE in the Modem game..........
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
7074Ln00b

Post by 7074Ln00b »

OK, took your advice and got the r2. Should get it in about two weeks. Still kinda lost when trying to find info though. Any suggestions, keywords a guy could use??
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

7074Ln00b wrote:OK, took your advice and got the r2. Should get it in about two weeks. Still kinda lost when trying to find info though. Any suggestions, keywords a guy could use??
Buddy, Familiraze your self with the Forum. Its not that dificult to find the INFO. 90% of it is located on the Links to the Left sifde of your Screen, Of course this is like the 999,999,999 Frigin TIME I say It.
Here, Don't want you to Hurt your self looking for it. LMFAO

http://www.usbjtag.com/jtagdevices/dpc2100.php

READ Here to find Out How to Make 10 Pin to 8 Pin Adapyter for the DPC2100 which also works on the Netgear Modems......

viewtopic.php?t=5693&highlight=2100+Adapter
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
7074Ln00b

Post by 7074Ln00b »

Thanks for the response CAPONE, but I already read those, come on, I've been on this forum long enough to know those basics! Of course I cannot test until I get the modem. The thing is after I get the modem, I don't want to just read the flash and back it up. I need to program with a different flash right? Should I get "Hacking the Cable Modem: What Cable Companies Don’t Want You to Know - DerEngel"?
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

7074Ln00b wrote:Thanks for the response CAPONE, but I already read those, come on, I've been on this forum long enough to know those basics! Of course I cannot test until I get the modem. The thing is after I get the modem, I don't want to just read the flash and back it up. I need to program with a different flash right? Should I get "Hacking the Cable Modem: What Cable Companies Don’t Want You to Know - DerEngel"?
NO, Why would you wan't to program a different Flash? Have you ever worked on Modems or will this be your frist time working with Modems?

You need to learn and understand the Modem Lingo and what it means, In general Terms (applicable to modems and other targets) Programming the Flash is doing a full erase and full programming of the flash and theres no real need to do that on a modem unless its BRICKED.
Programming different (TEST) Firmware is not the same as Programming a different flash. The firmware is just a small Part or Sector of the flash and does not change the original MAC & CERTs of the modem.
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

7074Ln00b wrote:Thanks for the response CAPONE, but I already read those, come on, I've been on this forum long enough to know those basics! Of course I cannot test until I get the modem. The thing is after I get the modem, I don't want to just read the flash and back it up. I need to program with a different flash right? Should I get "Hacking the Cable Modem: What Cable Companies Don’t Want You to Know - DerEngel"?
your best off to just start reading in the modem forums, but also go to site that are dedicated to modem testing, there is ONE HELLUVA LOT to LEARN and READ when it comes to testing modems, like capone already mentioned your getting into the game kinda late, there are still things you can do but man i'm tellin ya if ya wanna play with the modems your gonna have to really put in the time to do some reading of what can and cannot be done now adays...it's not as simple as just throwing in some firmware, or changing this and that real quick...read up on docsis 3 and find out if it's implemendated in your area..once you figure that out at least you'll know what and where to start reading..
live your life like a beer commericial
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

justsomeguy wrote:your best off to just start reading in the modem forums, but also go to site that are dedicated to modem testing, there is ONE HELLUVA LOT to LEARN and READ when it comes to testing modems, like capone already mentioned your getting into the game kinda late, there are still things you can do but man i'm tellin ya if ya wanna play with the modems your gonna have to really put in the time to do some reading of what can and cannot be done now adays...it's not as simple as just throwing in some firmware, or changing this and that real quick...read up on docsis 3 and find out if it's implemendated in your area..once you figure that out at least you'll know what and where to start reading..
The dpc2100 is a docsis 2.0 Modem, if he has never worked with that forget about docsis 3.0.
7074Ln00b

Post by 7074Ln00b »

7074Ln00b wrote:Hi, I used to frequent this site in the cable box section then the ISP blocked the site and it became a bother to browse and read, the caco also changes the video keys at least every two months so I gave up on that testing. I am interested in the cable modem testing though and we use the Arris TM602G here but I've seen someone use a DPC2100. My first question is which of the DPC2100 should I get (r2 or not)? or should the SB5100 or SB5101 work just the same also? Then of course I need to read the basics, I've already read the pages wrt connections and programming but I'm confused about all these certs and change mac discussions. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again for your help guys, and how's your new life going justsomeguy? Please remember that I came from cable box testing to this and assume since it's both "cable" and uses the same "USBJTAG NT" that it's the same process. My bad! I have tried reading but all the recent post suggest what you are both telling me, I am late and the discussion is far past my little understanding, hence my reason for asking for a point in the right direction. The DCT700 had a FAQ which was very helpful, is there any of that for the dcp2100?
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

7074Ln00b wrote:Thanks again for your help guys, and how's your new life going justsomeguy? Please remember that I came from cable box testing to this and assume since it's both "cable" and uses the same "USBJTAG NT" that it's the same process. My bad! I have tried reading but all the recent post suggest what you are both telling me, I am late and the discussion is far past my little understanding, hence my reason for asking for a point in the right direction. The DCT700 had a FAQ which was very helpful, is there any of that for the dcp2100?
A Member did the FAQ if I remember correctlly, appropriate for this forum, being the only real forum that deals with box programming. For Modem TESTING You need to go elswhere for detailed Information. Here the most we will do is help with Programming issuse and DeBrick issuses. What test firmware if ANY You chose to Use Is YOUR BIZ, and No support on How to use the Test Firm will be discussed here.....

For the most part (not saying its your case) Its way to late for people that want to STEAL Internet to get into the modem testing Game. What ever workarounds now exist, NO ONE will share with you Becouse MOST TOSers Just can keep there TRAP SHUT... So If someone really wants to Play the Game, They will need Countless Hours of Reading, A good level of Reading Comprehension and Lots of time in trial and error TESTING to figure things Out.
7074Ln00b

Post by 7074Ln00b »

CAPONE wrote:A Member did the FAQ if I remember correctlly, appropriate for this forum, being the only real forum that deals with box programming. For Modem TESTING You need to go elswhere for detailed Information. Here the most we will do is help with Programming issuse and DeBrick issuses. What test firmware if ANY You chose to Use Is YOUR BIZ, and No support on How to use the Test Firm will be discussed here.....

For the most part (not saying its your case) Its way to late for people that want to STEAL Internet to get into the modem testing Game. What ever workarounds now exist, NO ONE will share with you Becouse MOST TOSers Just can keep there TRAP SHUT... So If someone really wants to Play the Game, They will need Countless Hours of Reading, A good level of Reading Comprehension and Lots of time in trial and error TESTING to figure things Out.
I'm still trying to decipher your last post but can you explain the difference between "box programming" and Modem TESTING", Why would I want to program a box and not test it and why would I keep testing a box if I didn't change something to test for a difference apart from doing a hardware mod? Another thing, does TOS mean "terms of service" so TOSers means subscribed users?
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

7074Ln00b wrote:I'm still trying to decipher your last post but can you explain the difference between "box programming" and Modem TESTING", Why would I want to program a box and not test it and why would I keep testing a box if I didn't change something to test for a difference apart from doing a hardware mod? Another thing, does TOS mean "terms of service" so TOSers means subscribed users?
Did you not Notice the Word (STEAL)?????????? TOS = Theif of Service... And Hardware MOD is not Testing, Its only Use is for TOS.....
And what is there to Decipher? I was just giving you an example, That is to Say, That Box Testing is Different from Modem Testing. If you can't even Understand the Post, And being a Year Late and a Dollar Short on the Modem Testing Game, Maybe its the Wrong Hobby for You. Good Luck on your Quest...... LMFAO.
7074Ln00b you really are TOTALNOOB???????
7074Ln00b

Post by 7074Ln00b »

Come on, cut a guy some slack!! At least I chose an appropriate user ID :lol: Silly me, I was fixed on the words "programming" and "testing" when I should have also looked at "box" and "modem". As for the TOSers, I say if you can't afford it, then just do without it. It's not like the ISP will be unreasonable with their rates, even if they have a monopoly in your area, they are quite considerate and charge a fee that's just and approved by international standards, and they will never increase their rate because of persons stealing since that is their liability and should not be passed on to their customers LMFAO!
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

7074Ln00b wrote:Come on, cut a guy some slack!! At least I chose an appropriate user ID :lol: Silly me, I was fixed on the words "programming" and "testing" when I should have also looked at "box" and "modem". As for the TOSers, I say if you can't afford it, then just do without it. It's not like the ISP will be unreasonable with their rates, even if they have a monopoly in your area, they are quite considerate and charge a fee that's just and approved by international standards, and they will never increase their rate because of persons stealing since that is their liability and should not be passed on to their customers LMFAO!
LOL Don't take things Personally, I was kidding about your User Name and I am not judging You either. And as far as I am Concerned FUK the ISP's and The Goverment as well.

Goverment = Legalized Organized Crime LMFAO
7074Ln00b

Post by 7074Ln00b »

CAPONE wrote:LOL Don't take things Personally, I was kidding about your User Name and I am not judging You either. And as far as I am Concerned FUK the ISP's and The Goverment as well.

Goverment = Legalized Organized Crime LMFAO
You sure got my vote there, the government just keeps finding ways to make us pay for what belongs to us and to pay them to do it too....LMFAO Been doing some reading online though and I see what you mean by a year too late, it's more like about 3 years too late. I must say though, it's one thing to be curious about if you can beat the system, but when you beat it and start selling kits with links to instructions for other persons to do it you're definitely gonna make "the system" unhappy and by extension, yourself!