I need a tutorial on creating the XML files for new hardware.

Routers, VOIP devices, etc.
LightworkerNaven

I need a tutorial on creating the XML files for new hardware.

Post by LightworkerNaven »

I want to make my own XML files for the CG3000D so I can work with my modem. When I have it working on my machine, I can package the XML files for others to use as well. Its a modem that a lot of people want to have new firmware on, but companies lock it down tight, so only JTAG is available. So, I figure I'll find the info and make new firmware later and this is part of all of that.

So, how do you go about discovering the values for XML files on a MIPS EJTAG device? The vender.xml file doesn't have my proc listed, so I'm hoping that won't be an issue and it can use one that resembled its architecture if I can't just add it in. (Its a Broadcom BCM3380) I look forward to hearing from you.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

LightworkerNaven wrote:I want to make my own XML files for the CG3000D so I can work with my modem. When I have it working on my machine, I can package the XML files for others to use as well. Its a modem that a lot of people want to have new firmware on, but companies lock it down tight, so only JTAG is available. So, I figure I'll find the info and make new firmware later and this is part of all of that.

So, how do you go about discovering the values for XML files on a MIPS EJTAG device? The vender.xml file doesn't have my proc listed, so I'm hoping that won't be an issue and it can use one that resembled its architecture if I can't just add it in. (Its a Broadcom BCM3380) I look forward to hearing from you.
If it is Broadcom device, the latest software can detect the CPU. If still not adding it to vender.xml should not be too hard.

Do you mean the XML for the target not the vendor? Is this the modem similar to SB6120 and we use SPI programming rather than JTAG? You can send me PM with your phone number and I can discuss this with you.

In order to create XML for MIP devices you must know some JTAGs for MIPS target before you can make a working XML. Most of the target's XML can get
LightworkerNaven

As the CG3100D is SPI, I'd imagine it'd be similar. A while back I bookmarked this page on your site.

http://www.usbjtag.com/jtagnt/modem/CG3100D.php

The CG3100D version is probably the same thing, but with enhancements. So, I figure if I modify the XML for the CG3100D, then it could help out a bit. I tried connecting to the modem with that XML, but it didn't seem to find anything. I read the manual and it said to type "search" at the command prompt, but it told me that it was a bad command. So, I tried hitting the "read" button, but nothing came up on any of the tabs.

So, in the vender.xml file, I get that I enter the model of the chip, but what do I put for the ID? Is this correct?

Code: Select all

<Part>
         <Name>BCM3380</Name>
         <Id>0x3380</Id>
      </Part>
It looks like the number part of the model number becomes the ID. Also, here's what I need to know on the modified XML file for the CG3000D. The "memories" section is just what's stated for the CG3100D.

Using this filename: TCG3000DSPI.xml

Code: Select all

<Test>
  <Name>CG3000DSPI</Name>
  <Cat>Modem</Cat>
   <Protocol>SPIFLASH</Protocol>
   <Endian>Big</Endian>
   <Memorys>
      <Memory>
         <Name>Boot</Name>
         <Type>1</Type>
         <Address>0</Address>
         <Size>0x10000</Size>
      </Memory>
      <Memory>
         <Name>cfg</Name>
         <Type>1</Type>
         <Address>0x10000</Address>
         <Size>0x10000</Size>
      </Memory>
      <Memory>
         <Name>Image0</Name>
         <Type>1</Type>
         <Address>0x20000</Address>
         <Size>0x7C0000</Size>
      </Memory>
      <Memory>
         <Name>Log</Name>
         <Type>1</Type>
         <Address>0x7E0000</Address>
         <Size>0x20000</Size>
      </Memory>
   </Memorys>
</Test>
As for your question about the SB6120, I did a bit of research on why you asked that. I looked at the flash chip on my modem and its an FL064P1F. I Googled it and I found this thread.

viewtopic.php?t=5908&page=2

After reading a bit of it, I wanted to say that I tried to connect to it with the settings for the SB6120, but I couldn't read anything from the chip. That thread also states that I might need to route 5v to one of the pins so that the chip works. Is that true that with the FL064P1F chip, I need to give it a 5v charge? If so, what pin should I do that with? Do I follow the directions on this page as that's showing the same chips?

If I'm to follow those instructions, is it safe to solder a jumper wire between those pins and leave it there for normal operation as well, or would I need to remove the wire for normal use?

Also, I think part of your message was missing as it ended funny. I'll PM you my number. Thanks for your help so far.
LightworkerNaven

I just finished soldering the wires to the board as shown on this link like we talked about on the phone.

I noticed that you mapped out the flash chip's pins counterclockwise, but usually ICs are mapped out like this.

On that page, were the pins on USB JTAG NT also mapped out in a counterclockwise fashion or are they mapped out as shown in the above picture?
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

LightworkerNaven wrote:I just finished soldering the wires to the board as shown on this link like we talked about on the phone.

I noticed that you mapped out the flash chip's pins counterclockwise, but usually ICs are mapped out like this.

On that page, were the pins on USB JTAG NT also mapped out in a counterclockwise fashion or are they mapped out as shown in the above picture?
Flash and JTag pinouts are totally different things. JTag is same as picture on your post.
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

LightworkerNaven wrote:I just finished soldering the wires to the board as shown on this link like we talked about on the phone.

Just look at the ribbon cable. Pin 1 is red and then pin 2 and so on on JTAG NT. (There is a label said PIN 1 on back of the NT).
LightworkerNaven

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I guess that's what happens when I post at 3AM. Thanks for the info. I'll hook it up later.

UPDATE: OK, so I connected everything and I tried the config for the CG3100D and the SB6120, but I couldn't read anything from the unit. I also can't remember if you said to plug the modem in while I worked with it, but I tried with it plugged in and without it plugged in. Any ideas?