I built the Netgear firmware for the CG3000D and need help getting it on the unit.

Routers, VOIP devices, etc.
LightworkerNaven

I built the Netgear firmware for the CG3000D and need help getting it on the unit.

Post by LightworkerNaven »

At long last, there is now a compiled Netgear release of the V5.5.4 Firmware for the CG3000D and other modems as well. (CG3000D / CG3100D / CG3101D / CG3000D-1CHNAS / CG3000D-1CXNAS / CG3100D-1DANDS)

The problem I'm having is that I'm not sure how to load it onto the unit properly, using USB JTAG NT. In case you want the firmware to help me learn how to put it on there, or just want the firmware for yourself, here's the link.

http://thelifemaster.com/off-site/CG3000D_Firmware_V5.5.4.zip

Also, for anyone who finds this thread, I have yet to test out the firmware, so be careful if you add it to your modem.
LightworkerNaven

Most people when they are growing up, they learn not to mock people. Being nice to people makes you friends and keeps the environment happy and healthy. Really, it can't get any easier than that! No college degree required!

Also, if you took the time to download and open the archive which would take less than a minute, you'd see that there are 2 files. There are many places to add files and rootfs.img sounds like the filing system and vmlinux.bin sounds like Linux which is an OS that contains the filing system. So, to me, I don't know what part goes on the main firmware partition.

Perhaps you should start giving people credit and stop thinking everyone is going to ask a novice question. A little respect and research never hurt anyone. I took a few months to research how to make this firmware and get it on this gateway unit so other people can use what I've found out and make 100s (thousands?) of people happy who want more control over their unit and be able to use it to its fullest. What all have you done?

You slapped me around in the past and had your post removed from this thread. I expect your thread will be removed from this one, too, along with mine. I just wanted to let you know that if you're nice to me, it'll get you much further.
teddyalmonds

Post by teddyalmonds »

I think the best method to test whether your build works is to tftp boot it instead of flashing the modem.

Connect a serial cable to your modem and do it through the bootloader. If the modem boots the firmware then you know it's safe to flash it.
LightworkerNaven

teddyalmonds wrote:I think the best method to test whether your build works is to tftp boot it instead of flashing the modem.

Connect a serial cable to your modem and do it through the bootloader. If the modem boots the firmware then you know it's safe to flash it.
The firmware I have, locks every port out so I can't modify the firmware. Cox vandalized my modem to death and stuck their own crapware on my modem, so even though I can see the console on the serial port, it even tells me that it puts it on lockdown after it boots up. The only way that I can program it with new firmware is to do it directly through the hardware itself. That means I need to use JTAG.
U129718

Post by U129718 »

Hello
Does anybody knows the firmwares I can upload on flash in this CM??
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

U129718 wrote:Hello
What test firmware you use is Up to you (Your Biz). This site does not provide test Firmware Support. You will need to go to a Site dedicated to MODEM testing for help on that matter......
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
LightworkerNaven

U129718 wrote:Hello
There isn't a production release of the firmware to flash to the modem yet. I'm still making mine and when I'm done, I'll open source it and create a website for it. It'll be at http://netbeer.us. The only way I know how to get it on there, is to JTAG ecram_sto.bin onto Image0. I'm still working on figuring out how to make a copy of ecram_sto.bin. Its the one that comes stock with the CG3000D and I saw it on USB JTAG when I pulled its data.