Unlocking VOIP adapter VDV21

Use USB JTAG NT on VOIP device so we can unlock the device or configure the device.
merkin

Post by merkin »

also try lower speeds
auroden

Post by auroden »

merkin wrote:also try lower speeds
I tried that and no change, the flash type is still unknown.
I was able to initialize the Ethernet port via serial console and downgraded the firmware to 3.0.1 from a TFTP server. That didn't change anything regarding the flash recognition.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

auroden wrote:I tried that and no change, the flash type is still unknown.
I was able to initialize the Ethernet port via serial console and downgraded the firmware to 3.0.1 from a TFTP server. That didn't change anything regarding the flash recognition.
Firmware has NOTHING TO DO with Detecting FLASH......
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
auroden

Flash Detection not necessary

Post by auroden »

It turned out I don't really need to detect the flash type since the serial console (RS232 to TTL) does everything that one needs to unlock and program this V-Portal. The serial pin header is there, no need to solder JTAG connection. I successfully unlocked the device and programmed it for other VOIP providers. The credit goes to http://voipfan.net/ where one can find a complete tutorial for unlocking and programming lots of different VOIP adapters.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

auroden wrote:It turned out I don't really need to detect the flash type since the serial console (RS232 to TTL) does everything that one needs to unlock and program this V-Portal. The serial pin header is there, no need to solder JTAG connection. I successfully unlocked the device and programmed it for other VOIP providers. The credit goes to http://voipfan.net/ where one can find a complete tutorial for unlocking and programming lots of different VOIP adapters.
I am still interested in seeing you do a real JTAG.
auroden

Post by auroden »

usbbdm wrote:I am still interested in seeing you do a real JTAG.
That sounds good but I couldn't do it without flash chip being detected.
viski37

Post by viski37 »

merkin wrote: My locked voip devices were easily unlocked via IVR. No need to open up.
That's a bold statement in a thread about VDV21. :) Could you be SO kind to provide required Interactive voice Response (IVR) commands and IVR User password(s)? For example, the command to erase the admin password or see it on Vonage display, since not every VDV21 adapter allows FW change via TFTP server as described in the Tut you linked above.
Wolfgang

In no way you will get the password shown on the display

Post by Wolfgang »

viski37 wrote:... not every VDV21 adapter allows FW change via TFTP server ....
Every VDV21 will let you replace the FW if configured properly. The IP assignment is a little bit tricky but eventually works.
Look for the static password in these memo locations: BF3D00FA; BF3D00FE; BF3D0102 or BF7F0118; BF7F011C; BF7F0120
You need to carefully read and understand the tutorial described on the website mentioned before.
It is not easy but it is doable and if you are patient and detail oriented you will succeed.