6120: Need help removing Alpha and restoring 8mb dump

SB6XXX,SBV6XXX

Moderators: justsomeguy, Koevoet

karloz25

6120: Need help removing Alpha and restoring 8mb dump

Post by karloz25 »

Hi guys, its been a while since I played with my 6120 and USBJtagNT, I wanted to remove the Alpha Firmware that was installed several years ago, and restore my saved 8mb dump.

Can someone help me with the steps to doing this?

Also will this restore everything? including my serial# and mac?

Thanks a bunch!
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

karloz25 wrote:Hi guys, its been a while since I played with my 6120 and USBJtagNT, I wanted to remove the Alpha Firmware that was installed several years ago, and restore my saved 8mb dump.

Can someone help me with the steps to doing this?

Also will this restore everything? including my serial# and mac?

Thanks a bunch!
If done correctly you will NOT change serial or MAC.
Is your Modem Bricked or Operational at this Point?

I answered your PM's.
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
karloz25

Post by karloz25 »

i don't have cable right now. just dsl, im trying to get cable legit and use this modem.

the modem turns on and is only connected to ethernet cable to pc, i have link=orange and receive=blinking blue

i have access to 192.168.100.1 motorola page

Ive noticed that the MAC and SER# don't match the sticker
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

karloz25 wrote:i don't have cable right now. just dsl, im trying to get cable legit and use this modem.

the modem turns on and is only connected to ethernet cable to pc, i have link=orange and receive=blinking blue

i have access to 192.168.100.1 motorola page

Ive noticed that the MAC and SER# don't match the sticker
If you changed that Using Alpha , then you will have to revert back. If that does not work and you Did NNOT make an Original Backup Prior to Testing with the Modem, Then You will NOT be able to put it back into its ORIGINAL STATE.
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
MrRogers

Post by MrRogers »

I am sure I can provide him with a 6120 full flash. If there is a way for him to save his mac etc, I will supply him with the necessary portions of a 6120 dump that will erase the alpha fw.

CAPONE, the mac, serial, etc they are generally stored in the cfg sector of a flash on a 6120 correct? not on image0 or image1, if I am not mistaken.

I just hope that is the case otherwise you will have to keep what you have on there or use a totally different dump which means different mac, serial, etc.

I do have 6120 dumps that are not being used, so if you need a spare I can probably help you out. Just PM me.
I JTAGGED your mom.
I was told that there is no such thing as a free lunch, I then learned through personal experience that the best things in life ARE FREE - Me

WE ARE ANONYMOUS, EXPECT US.

All posts/topics that I post in are completely hypothetical in real life and should not be taken seriously.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

MrRogers wrote:I am sure I can provide him with a 6120 full flash. If there is a way for him to save his mac etc, I will supply him with the necessary portions of a 6120 dump that will erase the alpha fw.

CAPONE, the mac, serial, etc they are generally stored in the cfg sector of a flash on a 6120 correct? not on image0 or image1, if I am not mistaken.

I just hope that is the case otherwise you will have to keep what you have on there or use a totally different dump which means different mac, serial, etc.

I do have 6120 dumps that are not being used, so if you need a spare I can probably help you out. Just PM me.
He should be all set. He had an Original Backup.................
MrRogers

Post by MrRogers »

CAPONE wrote:He should be all set. He had an Original Backup.................
Ahh ok that's good then. A good time to remind people to. ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP AND COMPARE IT TO THE ORIGINAL BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING!
I JTAGGED your mom.
I was told that there is no such thing as a free lunch, I then learned through personal experience that the best things in life ARE FREE - Me

WE ARE ANONYMOUS, EXPECT US.

All posts/topics that I post in are completely hypothetical in real life and should not be taken seriously.
Synbios

Post by Synbios »

CAPONE wrote:If done correctly you will NOT change serial or MAC.
Is your Modem Bricked or Operational at this Point?

I answered your PM's.
The way you made it sound was a bit misleading. Yes you can restore the firmware without changing the serial/Mac/certs but you don't have to do it that way.

If he made a full 8MB original dump, which he claims he has, then all he has to is restore that 8MB dump and everything, including serial/Mac/certs will be restored to the original state.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

Synbios wrote:The way you made it sound was a bit misleading. Yes you can restore the firmware without changing the serial/Mac/certs but you don't have to do it that way.

If he made a full 8MB original dump, which he claims he has, then all he has to is restore that 8MB dump and everything, including serial/Mac/certs will be restored to the original state.
Its not just a matter of restoring the Firmware, More than likely he would also have to restore the BOOT File as well.........