Dump 6183 yet?

SB6XXX,SBV6XXX

Moderators: justsomeguy, Koevoet

ictvtec

Dump 6183 yet?

Post by ictvtec »

Anyone figured out how to dump the 6183's yet?
Gruber

Post by Gruber »

That is the question of the day!

Capone, anyone?
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

I am sure its no problem to read and write to this modem. I have not had the pleasure of getting one in my hands, However am 100% confident that we should be able to read and write to it.

I have posted more than enough times how to manage this situation.

I will get one soon and play with it. My understanding is that the downloads supported on this modem is around 250 Down and 50 Upload. So it will make for a Nice Christmas Update. :D
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
Gruber

Post by Gruber »

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sb6183. ... 0.0-GA-00/

does this help any?

credit goes to Yuji1 from surfboard hacker
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

Here is some Info about the Modem.

Stock firmware is SB6183-9.2.0.0-GA-03-29-NOSH

It has a Spansion FL064PIF BGA Flash, Not SPI as I thought it would.

It does have what appears to be a JTAG Port. I will be playing with it some more to see if in fact it is a JTAG Port.
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
ictvtec

Post by ictvtec »

Any updates on dumping??
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

With this model Modem the only way I see to read and write the flash is to remove the BGA Flash and read/write with external BGA Programmer then reinstall Flash.

Anyone that has worked on the di$hn3t HD receivers will know the process.
Its lots of fun and lots of work and $$$ for proper tools.
If you just looking to clone, then may not be worth the work. They do however have extremely nice speeds. I posted a speed test of that model modem.
thaclient

Post by thaclient »

Can't one just remove the NAND chip, dump the flash with a home-made reader and then refit the chip? The orange ones are sexy.
DvDRUS

this one

Post by DvDRUS »

this one

<<HW_REV: 1; VENDOR: Motorola Corporation; BOOTR: 2500; SW_REV: SB6183-9.2.0.0-GA-00-19-DIAG; MODEL: SB6183>>
thaclient

Post by thaclient »

The diag 6182 isn't as purdy and is black. But it has a nice lab firmware and a nice diag port on the back
<<HW_REV: 1; VENDOR: Motorola Corporation; BOOTR: 2400; SW_REV: SB6182-3.6.0.0-LAB-556ga-DIAG; MODEL: SB6182>>
ictvtec

Post by ictvtec »

Can we see the inside of the sexy orange?
thaclient

Post by thaclient »

:P

Yuji Saeki

Post by Yuji Saeki »

Gruber wrote:http://sourceforge.net/projects/sb6183. ... 0.0-GA-00/

does this help any?

credit goes to Yuji1 from surfboard hacker
I'm Yuji1 from SBH, thank you for the credit. :) Very much appreciated.
CAPONE wrote:With this model Modem the only way I see to read and write the flash is to remove the BGA Flash and read/write with external BGA Programmer then reinstall Flash.

Anyone that has worked on the di$hn3t HD receivers will know the process.
Its lots of fun and lots of work and $$$ for proper tools.
If you just looking to clone, then may not be worth the work. They do however have extremely nice speeds. I posted a speed test of that model modem.
SBH is currently down but I was curious, you spoke of JTAG...any pics on where pinout is? Maybe I can monkey around some. Trying to unpack SB6183-9.2.0.0-GA-03-29-NOSH to enable telnet/ssh and just write back.

Orange diag, I'd love to get my hands on one (even if its dead/blacklisted).

*Edit* Figured out how to safely get to the board but I confirm, BGA Spansion flash chip, specifically S25FL064P 24-ball BGA package (6 x 8 mm), 5 x 5 pin configuration (PDF) [page 10, bottom half]. Maybe we could trace the pinouts to the point of being able to solder very tiny wires to it and then USBJTagNT it. Would hope to see serial/JTAG interface of that lovely orange. (thaclient, know where those pinouts go to hook up from?) ;)

*Edit* I've got a BGA re-work station, and when I feel confident (and have a spare modem maybe), I'll try removing it and seeing where the leads go. Who knows, maybe this'd be a simple soldering job. BGA reprogramming adapters are so expensive (you don't need to solder to reprogram the chips, contact-based).
ictvtec

Post by ictvtec »

Yuji, how is the process coming along?
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

Yuji Saeki wrote:I'm Yuji1 from SBH, thank you for the credit. :) Very much appreciated.

SBH is currently down but I was curious, you spoke of JTAG...any pics on where pinout is? Maybe I can monkey around some. Trying to unpack SB6183-9.2.0.0-GA-03-29-NOSH to enable telnet/ssh and just write back.

Orange diag, I'd love to get my hands on one (even if its dead/blacklisted).

*Edit* Figured out how to safely get to the board but I confirm, BGA Spansion flash chip, specifically S25FL064P 24-ball BGA package (6 x 8 mm), 5 x 5 pin configuration (PDF) [page 10, bottom half]. Maybe we could trace the pinouts to the point of being able to solder very tiny wires to it and then USBJTagNT it. Would hope to see serial/JTAG interface of that lovely orange. (thaclient, know where those pinouts go to hook up from?) ;)

*Edit* I've got a BGA re-work station, and when I feel confident (and have a spare modem maybe), I'll try removing it and seeing where the leads go. Who knows, maybe this'd be a simple soldering job. BGA reprogramming adapters are so expensive (you don't need to solder to reprogram the chips, contact-based).
I have all the equipment to properly de-solder, re-ball and re solder the flash and a Programmer to read and program BGA Flash, I just don't have the time to monkey around with it at this time.

But your Idea is same as Mine, Trace it out to see if we can manage to find solder points that would allow us to read the flash without having to take it off the board. I am somewhat confident that it is possible.