Programming a CPLD

XBOX NAND rad/write.
studio1b

Post by studio1b »

im also wondering if i can use my USBJTAGNT to program the COOLRUNNER or any other type of chips that are out for the 360 now it would be a great thing to do
epicant

Unable to get it to successfully run

Post by epicant »

Hay there. Thanks for the tip on converting. I keep going over it and doing it the same way, but when i run the stapl file in the jtag nt software i get a unsuccessful execution. Have any ideas, or would you mind posting a zephy.stapl file? Thanks
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

epicant wrote:Hay there. Thanks for the tip on converting. I keep going over it and doing it the same way, but when i run the stapl file in the jtag nt software i get a unsuccessful execution. Have any ideas, or would you mind posting a zephy.stapl file? Thanks
I programmed one file converted by a member here and failed. However, when program the staple file from the Xilinx tool it works fine. Someone else might have different experience.
epicant

Post by epicant »

usbbdm wrote:I programmed one file converted by a member here and failed. However, when program the staple file from the Xilinx tool it works fine. Someone else might have different experience.
Could this be due to using hardware with sn 2***?
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

epicant wrote:Could this be due to using hardware with sn 2***?
Oh for sure.
epicant

process?

Post by epicant »

Hay, so is file execution failing due to version 00003*** ?
Or is the file just not generated correctly?
Also, if it is failing due to version of the programmer, what is process and price for upgrade?
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

epicant wrote:Hay, so is file execution failing due to version 00003*** ?
Or is the file just not generated correctly?
Also, if it is failing due to version of the programmer, what is process and price for upgrade?
SN's lower than 4000 cant do CPLD Programming. You will need to send in your tool for Updating to be able to support CPLD Programming.
studio1b

Post by studio1b »

i guess i can not program any glitch chip with my usbjtagnt :( my serial is 0000212XXXX
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

studio1b wrote:i guess i can not program any glitch chip with my usbjtagnt :( my serial is 0000212XXXX
Clearly not.
garbageaccount

Post by garbageaccount »

What is physically done to the chip in order to allow it to do cpld programming?

Is it replacement of a surface mount chip or something else?

I don't have a problem updating this myself if you can share this info with me.

Thanks!
CheezeWiz

Post by CheezeWiz »

I'd like to know this too.

--Aaron
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

I would suspect It has to be ReProgrammed and NO WAY USBBDM will Make it so the End User can DO So, And I for one DON'T BLAME HIM.
If you send in yours with the FEE he will Swap for an New USBJTAG NT Ready for DPLD Programming. So thats your Only Choice on the Matter. ;)
CheezeWiz

Post by CheezeWiz »

Maybe I'm missing something, I see jtag ports on the CPLD coolrunner device, I can ID the chip when its set to Ejtag mode, cant you just copy on hex/binary to the device?

Or is CPLD mode doing something different when writing data to the chip.

Honestly at this stage I think its cheaper to use a parallel cable or use the nandX to do this. I was under the assumption that the JTAGNT device would have lots of support, although a software upgrade to the hardware should be included with the purchase of the device.

However if hardware has to change on the device physically I can see that costing a fee.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

CheezeWiz wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, I see jtag ports on the CPLD coolrunner device, I can ID the chip when its set to Ejtag mode, cant you just copy on hex/binary to the device?

Or is CPLD mode doing something different when writing data to the chip.

Honestly at this stage I think its cheaper to use a parallel cable or use the nandX to do this. I was under the assumption that the JTAGNT device would have lots of support, although a software upgrade to the hardware should be included with the purchase of the device.

However if hardware has to change on the device physically I can see that costing a fee.
When JTAG NT was initially designed it was optimized for MIPS (not even ARM was considered). As we starting support more devices, the initial design does not fit and that is why modify the CPLD in the NT is needed. The newly purchased JTAG NT has all the latest code in the CPLD.

Sorry the CPLD cannot be shared and has to be programmed individually. Your JTAG is still good for MIPS programming.

In CPLD programming it does not use the mode found in CPU JTAGing. I agree if you can program with Parallel port, then by all means go for it. It is not slow either.
Adding CPLD support for NT is just extra features added. Software upgrade alone cannot solve this issue.
studio1b

Post by studio1b »

I have no problem sending my USBJTAG NT in and getting a new one i ratter be able to use my device for up coming stuff down the road.
I have a few questions maybe USBBDM
is there any way we could get support added to be used with other tools that are out like the JTAG TOOL that xbox 360 users have. Is there any way we could like say open USBJTAG program and then have the JTAG TOOL work with it. Im asking because it kind of would make the 360 users really happy i know for sure it would to me. We could just work with 1 program to program a 360 in a few quick steps instead of jumping back to each program.
To me its not a big deal but i was just wondering if there was anyway of support like that.

Another question when im sending the usbjtagnt in to get a new one where is it getting sent to ? US or INTERNATIONAL ? i ask because how much is the shipping going to cost me to get it there because there is no way im not going to send a package with out a tracking # on the package with my USBJTAGNT in it :P and that really leaves it down to UPS or FEDEX and i would more then anything go UPS. Because then the shipping is going to be $$ and then the $25 to upgrade the device :( kind of makes me sad in a way as i could more then anything pick up a nandx for cheaper in the long run ( not saying i would get a nandx unless it was free ) lol what crappy write speeds lol

just on another note usbbdm your the man always updating and answering the forums and pm's :) thanks for the great support wish you a great holiday and new year :)

-