EMM - Entitlement Management Message

Misc forums. Device donation, device swap. Off the topic etc.
MrRogers

EMM - Entitlement Management Message

Post by MrRogers »

Meaning of EMM – “Entitlement Management Messageâ€￾, is an encrypted message that contains private conditional access information about the authority a viewer has to acquire reception for such services as cable or satellite television.

Scrambling and encryption are used in a Conditional Access System (also known as (CAS) to prevent users from acquiring an unauthorized reception on their Cable TV system. An Entitlement Control Message (ECM) contains access criteria and a scrambled key called a control word, ECM's are bad (obviously). The ECM is sent encrypted to the receiver, or Set Top Box (STB), in a customer's (or wannabe pirates) home. If the customer is authorized to acquire the reception, a subsystem in the receiver will decrypt the message. An EMM generator, a component in a conditional access system, is used to send EMM's to the receiver. The generator receives commands from a subscriber management system and creates EMM's that get sent to the CableCard (M-Card) or to relay messages to the cable operators. The receiver knows whether or not the customer is authorized because of the authority is contained in an EMM.

If the box is authorized to receive service, this information is encoded in an Entitlement Management Message (EMM) which is also sent as part of the MPEG stream (Which is why if you try to HM a box with an M-Card, although you may have good solder points you will also freeze the picture on screen, making M-Card boxes a pain in the ASS!). When a scrambled MPEG signal is received by a conditional access decoder, the box first checks the EMM to see if it is authorized to receive the key and decode the service. If the box is enabled, then the ECM is decoded by the existing data and the public key is combined with the private key to decode the MPEG stream.

The Entitlement Management Message generator is responsible for building "out of band" communications with the set top box to deliver the other half of the decryption key. Each EMM is uniquely encoded using the set top box's own key pair - thereby providing one to one security. Some aim to avoid that.

Entitlement management messages are private conditional access information which specify the authorization level or the services of specific decoders. They may be addressed to single decoders or a specific group of decoders.

The scrambler key, called the control word, must of course be sent to the receiver in an encrypted form as an entitlement control message (ECM). The conditional access subsystem in the receiver will then decrypt the control word only when authorized to do so. The authority to decrypt is sent to the receiver in the form of an entitlement management message or EMM.

This is just to help users better understand the importance of the OOB Status and what EACH individual line means. Information is free, how you use it is up to you! Keep in mind, each cable provider and area has certain times that they do ECM's and EMM Data checks, in my area and most likely yours it is early afternoon (2-3pm) and after 11pm. During these times are the most likely due to the amount of traffic on the network at any given time, or based on computer models which show peak hours of data usage, i.e. internet, etc. Performing checks during peak hours may cause end users to become lagged - And would result in more customer complaints than usual (which is what they don't want)
I JTAGGED your mom.
I was told that there is no such thing as a free lunch, I then learned through personal experience that the best things in life ARE FREE - Me

WE ARE ANONYMOUS, EXPECT US.

All posts/topics that I post in are completely hypothetical in real life and should not be taken seriously.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

You should get a Job Typing. :D
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
MrRogers

Post by MrRogers »

crazymenike wrote:Or maybe a job copy & pasting lol.

He didnt type that, I've read every god damn document publicly available to the common man about EMM data....

If this was college you'd be kicked out Matt!
I didn't copy and paste everything and I never said I wrote the book on EMM Data, obviously it came from somewhere else.

Should I go back and put c/p at the top for something that is public knowledge? I did write in some of my own and stuff, it is just very subtle and I gear it more toward the cable user vs the dish users.

I just figured posting all the info here that is relevant to us and others, makes more sense than digging around google for it, why not get all the info in one spot. It will be better for everyone here. :)
I JTAGGED your mom.
I was told that there is no such thing as a free lunch, I then learned through personal experience that the best things in life ARE FREE - Me

WE ARE ANONYMOUS, EXPECT US.

All posts/topics that I post in are completely hypothetical in real life and should not be taken seriously.
hqa18

Post by hqa18 »

Donth Wory Friends . Your work is Good for me and other user.

The EMM is very INteresting for testing here in my CC Provider.
mirando