Closing on house today!!!

Anything you want to talk that is not fit in other forums. Do not spam. The threads might get deleted if not appropriate

Moderator: justsomeguy

MrRogers

Post by MrRogers »

stomperz wrote:Love the word credit!
$2000 is a fair price for new line. Last one done I think I paid $1200 and I had the buffalo box and copper. (5 years ago)

We did a 38k demo with asbestos they did it abatement at night! :rolleyes:
Some of the needed work was just encapsulated (painted over) like your siding. It's a money saver, but with kids I would not cut corners.

I know more about building than computers so if I can be of any help let me know.
Well Congratulations and Good Luck

I can't tell you how much that means man, I appreciate it.

As far as the siding, it will be encapsulated with some sort of material, then the vinyl siding will go over that along with aluminum trim for the window sills. I appreciate the kind words man I really do.

As for the water line coming in, I believe that should be something that ALL homes should have replaced. Especially if you have children, that shit is NO JOKE! Lead in your water, even trace amounts is still too much for me to allow my kids to drink it. While we live there and while the line is getting replaced we are not using any water in the house for any reason. We will eat off of paper plates and plastic forkware until that's done to wash dishes. As for showering, I believe it should be OK as long as the kids keep their eyes and mouths shut while they bathe or shower, but obviously I want to minimize that as MUCH AS POSSIBLE.

The rest of the house work I will be pitching in, I made a deal with the contractor that if I lend a helping hand he will drop the labor charges a bit so I will save some money. The copper piping and the radiators are first on my list of stuff for repairs though. I am not going to gamble with my kids health because people were too quick and ignorant back in the day to properly and fully test the materials being used in building a home structure. If you ask me that should be a class action lawsuit for all the kids out there with mental issues due to lead poisoning. I guess we live and we learn though huh. Maybe in about 20 years they will deem vinyl to be cancerous too haha.

As for the other work that needs to be done I was thinking about eventually making a finished basement but it leaks so I need to figure out how to fix that before I move forward with that project. The foundation is basically like big rocks with cement between them, house was built in 1913.
I JTAGGED your mom.
I was told that there is no such thing as a free lunch, I then learned through personal experience that the best things in life ARE FREE - Me

WE ARE ANONYMOUS, EXPECT US.

All posts/topics that I post in are completely hypothetical in real life and should not be taken seriously.
stomperz

seepage

Post by stomperz »

Mix Thoroseal and Acryl 60 and paint the walls.
Silicone treated 2 x 4 plat to floor. This was my substitute. (see below)
Fasten with Tapcon masonry screws.
Install a sump pit connect to perimeter drain (2 x 4), wire, pipe outside.

Priced at $4k for 60'.
Supply and install: saw cut floor, epoxied plastic barrier into concrete, mini pit and pump.

As long as your floor dose not seep this will work.

There are variables and further information is needed
Sorry for my poor English, it is my primary language.:rolleyes:
MrRogers

Post by MrRogers »

So we still haven't closed on the house yet, we were told maybe Monday-Tuesday at the latest and still no word as to exactly when it will be, but I guess the bank is working on it... Has anyone ever had anything like this happen to them before?

This is ridiculous man. I am suppose to go in to the bank tomorrow morning to discuss it with the lady at the bank to see where we stand with this. We already got approved for the loan so I don't see this turning out bad, but I just hope that my rate is locked at 3.5% while the bank takes their sweet ass time to get everything in order.
I JTAGGED your mom.
I was told that there is no such thing as a free lunch, I then learned through personal experience that the best things in life ARE FREE - Me

All posts/topics that I post in are completely hypothetical in real life and should not be taken seriously.
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

a little piece of advice....whatever you do sign up to pay bi-weekly...it works out to the exact same amount monthy payments on your mortgage, but paying bi-weekly will reduce the time to pay back the mortgage by YEARS and you will save THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS on intrest !!!!
live your life like a beer commericial
stomperz

Post by stomperz »

justsomeguy wrote:a little piece of advice....whatever you do sign up to pay bi-weekly...it works out to the exact same amount monthy payments on your mortgage, but paying bi-weekly will reduce the time to pay back the mortgage by YEARS and you will save THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS on intrest !!!!
Great advice guy!
If it works with your financial income, then go for it.
You would not believe the savings!
Find an amortization table that does bi-weekly to see the difference.
Hang in there:rolleyes:
Sorry for my poor English, it is my primary language.:rolleyes:
gone

Post by gone »

On the face of it owning is much better than renting. But there will be times when one misses being a renter and not having to deal with maintenance issues, etc. We paid off a 15-yr early...just in time for financial crisis and a loss of about $125-$150K in home value.
MrRogers

Post by MrRogers »

As for the new house the bank had to change the loan type from HUD FHA 203(k) to HOPE program, (the bank switched to HOPE program from the HUD program) which isn't bound by HUD and FHA guidelines and goes directly through the bank, so we only have to pay the purchase price of $84,000 and we can do the repairs over time and alot cheaper without interest. So if there are any roofers, or anyone that can do Vinyl siding in Ma please let me know because I need work done on my house, I might still go through my general contractor but the overall inside living conditions are awesome (minus where there is lead paint which will be completely removed.) In a nutshell the HUD (government owned and run) that we were going to go with since we got turned down for the HOPE program decided that since the appraisal value of $77,000 was not what we "paid" for the house (we bid $90,000 for it), that it is no longer eligible for FHA 203k, HUD makes their own rules and needless to say they made us jump through all these hoops for nothing, but in the end Webster Bank made an exception for us to get the HOPE program because of this whole fiasco, so we have a set date to close on Friday now, as far as I have been told.

Our estimated Monthly payments are $676 (includes insurance). I planned on paying extra every month to knock the interest off. I plan to pay the house off in less than 10 years, as well as have all the repairs done with equity that comes with it. :)

This loan type is what we originally wanted but the house was not eligible for it because all the necessary systems are not functional (heat), hot water. But since we have the money to pay out of pocket, that is a 0 interest repair. The lady from the bank guaranteed me that we will be closing Friday.

Other than that the work that needs to be done - roof needs to get replaced, as well as the vinyl siding and the plumbing which a family member is redoing that for us and I am pitching in on the work itself so save, I have worked with him before in the past and plumbing is not hard at all, if I can program a cable modem I can sure figure how to fit a piece of wood on a back deck (just a dumb analogy of how fixing up a house is not all that hard to figure out if you plan it out beforehand).

We are due to close on Friday, I went to house today to install smoke & carbon monoxide detectors to pass fire inspection. Webster Bank is making the exception for us for having to go through all this bs with HUD, the manager of the underwriting department was the one who suggested it. Since we passed the classes for HOPE program the only thing stopping us was the house not being in move in ready shape, but as I said everything will go through Webster now without the federal government getting its hands on us or our loan, it will ALWAYS be through Webster Bank. So yeah $676/monthly for mortgage with no private mortgage insurance :D AWESOMENESS!
I JTAGGED your mom.

MrRogers

Post by MrRogers »

Finally closed on the house today guys!

Got the key so it is final.

Hey macgyver12, macgyver your ass to the phone and gimme a call I need your assistance :)

Anyways guys my monthly payments are $691.66 for everything. 30 year term @ 4.125%. But I plan to pay it off early obviously. The loan is amount $87,000.

They are holding $5000 in escrow until the lead paint is removed then they release those funds back. Not a bad deal though. back yard, pool, shed, 4 bedrooms, front porch, back deck. Awesome!
I JTAGGED your mom.

justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

MrRogers wrote:Finally closed on the house today guys!

Got the key so it is final.

Hey macgyver12, macgyver your ass to the phone and gimme a call I need your assistance :)

Anyways guys my monthly payments are $691.66 for everything. 30 year term @ 4.125%. But I plan to pay it off early obviously. The loan is amount $87,000.

They are holding $5000 in escrow until the lead paint is removed then they release those funds back. Not a bad deal though. back yard, pool, shed, 4 bedrooms, front porch, back deck. Awesome!
congrats man....
moddog

Post by moddog »

I own a 4 bed room house, and i buy it cash with the help of my wonderful father, the price is 15 million of my dollar that is a $150,000 USD, congratulation sir.
Good better best
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

we bought our house for about $75,000 canadian, after all the reno's i've done to it they tell me it's now worth over $160,000.....so if you have the knowledge and dedication to do the work yourself it's well worth it in the end.! to bad any of the houses the wife wants are over 300,000 !!!! lol
MrRogers

Post by MrRogers »

Lol yeah I hear you man, my gf said she wont move in to this house until it has everything it needs, so as of right now I kinda have to redo the kitchen because the flooring underneath the tile is kinda damp so the tiles come up easily in the kitchen, we tore up all the tiles and it is a little bit damp wood underneath, anyone have any clue?

The house was winterized so the water got shut off and the pipes have been off for 3 years now. So it can't be water from the pipes can it? So if you saw it right now you would see the kitchen floor is all torn up. Probably go with cheap linoleum for now until we can figure out where the dampness is from. My guess was the basement because it floods down there, I assumed that the water from the basement evaporated up to the kitchen floor.
I JTAGGED your mom.

justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

MrRogers wrote:Lol yeah I hear you man, my gf said she wont move in to this house until it has everything it needs, so as of right now I kinda have to redo the kitchen because the flooring underneath the tile is kinda damp so the tiles come up easily in the kitchen, we tore up all the tiles and it is a little bit damp wood underneath, anyone have any clue?

The house was winterized so the water got shut off and the pipes have been off for 3 years now. So it can't be water from the pipes can it? So if you saw it right now you would see the kitchen floor is all torn up. Probably go with cheap linoleum for now until we can figure out where the dampness is from. My guess was the basement because it floods down there, I assumed that the water from the basement evaporated up to the kitchen floor.
is the ceiling in the basement open? you can very easily tell ..just look to see if the under side of the floor is damp or not..more then likely it's not coming from the basement. for the moisture to go from the basement side to the upper side of the subfloor is highly unlikely! there could have been moisture in between the tile and the subfloor..if the tiles came up easily it tells me that they were not properly installed. so it could have been a leaky dishwasher or something like that...what I would do is rip up the subfloor and replace that- it is very inexpensive..and just leave the subfloor open for awhile and see what happens, it may have been just water getting between the tiles and the floor if they were not properly installed..wait for home depot or menards or somewhere like that to throw a sale on tile and go that way..trust me in the long run you will be happier with this route! it could also just be from the thinset used for the tiles that you think it's damp...it does have a damp feel to it when in fact it's not.....but also you will want to rip up that subfloor just to get a nice and smooth surface for whatever you plan on putting down (especially linumlion) - bad spelling- because you will see/feel every little bump in it with that stuff...I know all this from lots of experience!!
MrRogers

Post by MrRogers »

justsomeguy wrote:is the ceiling in the basement open? you can very easily tell ..just look to see if the under side of the floor is damp or not..more then likely it's not coming from the basement. for the moisture to go from the basement side to the upper side of the subfloor is highly unlikely! there could have been moisture in between the tile and the subfloor..if the tiles came up easily it tells me that they were not properly installed. so it could have been a leaky dishwasher or something like that...what I would do is rip up the subfloor and replace that- it is very inexpensive..and just leave the subfloor open for awhile and see what happens, it may have been just water getting between the tiles and the floor if they were not properly installed..wait for home depot or menards or somewhere like that to throw a sale on tile and go that way..trust me in the long run you will be happier with this route! it could also just be from the thinset used for the tiles that you think it's damp...it does have a damp feel to it when in fact it's not.....but also you will want to rip up that subfloor just to get a nice and smooth surface for whatever you plan on putting down (especially linumlion) - bad spelling- because you will see/feel every little bump in it with that stuff...I know all this from lots of experience!!

The tiles were fine on a piece of plywood that was nearest to the dining room, they were very hard to get up and were not at all damp, on the other hand the sub floor beneath the tiles near the sink looks like moldy/blackish so I assume that way is somehow trickling down from the roof inside the wall on to the floor boards and it is soaking up rain when we get heavy rainfall. Something tells me that replacing the sub-floor (wood) is a good idea since it doesn't look too great anyways - looks like a piss poor job if you ask me. And basically on the main sub-floor is where it was dampest. Trust me man it felt wet to the touch like you could dig a screwdriver in to it pretty easily. How much would you say for an average sized kitchen floor to be replaced? Including the sub-flooring? I would say the kitchen is maybe 14 x 14 foot at max. And could water from over 3 years ago have been trapped under the tiles that long and still keep the wood relatively damp if it was from a leaky pipe in the kitchen?
I JTAGGED your mom.

justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

MrRogers wrote:The tiles were fine on a piece of plywood that was nearest to the dining room, they were very hard to get up and were not at all damp, on the other hand the sub floor beneath the tiles near the sink looks like moldy/blackish so I assume that way is somehow trickling down from the roof inside the wall on to the floor boards and it is soaking up rain when we get heavy rainfall. Something tells me that replacing the sub-floor (wood) is a good idea since it doesn't look too great anyways - looks like a piss poor job if you ask me. And basically on the main sub-floor is where it was dampest. Trust me man it felt wet to the touch like you could dig a screwdriver in to it pretty easily. How much would you say for an average sized kitchen floor to be replaced? Including the sub-flooring? I would say the kitchen is maybe 14 x 14 foot at max. And could water from over 3 years ago have been trapped under the tiles that long and still keep the wood relatively damp if it was from a leaky pipe in the kitchen?
if it was around your sink then there is your problem!!!! look under the sink and see if the bottom of the sink cupbord is wet or has water damage. either the sink overflowed, or the pipes leaked at one time. sometimes it's something as easy as the supply line (the flexible water line that attaches from the main pipeing to the sink) could have come loose-this is common- I doubt it's going down the roof..more likey going down the inside of that cuppord and into the floor from under the cabinet. most times when people install tiles they stop at the cubbord kick plates then under the cubbord themselves it's just subfloor so that was probably the point of entry. and YES if water got in there it could stay trapped for a long time under the right conditions. one little drip if left untreated can cause one helluva a big mess!!

not sure about prices down there but I KNOW it's cheaper then up here..if you get subfloor what it is is a 4' x 4' piece of 1/4 plywood, it has a whole bunch of "x"'s on it. those x's are where you staple it to the main plywood flooring underneath it...up here I think they are about $10 for each sheet of subfloor, tile can go as low as 99 cents a square foot when it goes on sale, I think I seen stuff at menards when I was in the states last for close to 59 cents a square foot!!!!!!
tileing is EASY even for the 1st timer to put in as long as you take your time and get it nice and square and level! just watch a couple youtube video's and when you are at that point just let me know and I can give ya some pointers!