DCX3XXX Cable Box Full Factory Reset/EEPROM CLEAR

Anything you want to talk that is not fit in other forums. Do not spam. The threads might get deleted if not appropriate

Moderator: justsomeguy

MrRogers

DCX3XXX Cable Box Full Factory Reset/EEPROM CLEAR

Post by MrRogers »

Hey guys, I searched high and low for the key sequence for the Motorola DCX3501 front panel key sequence to get it to display boot, so that I can possibly erase the EEPROM, I got the info a while back from a friend but I seem to have lost it and I cannot find it ANYWHERE online, looked over on AVS forums but it only gave info for the DCT/DCH model boxes, it is like it is purposely not posted online for whatever reason.

So, if anyone happens to know the key sequence please let me know that way I can test a theory to regarding the ppv stack.

In essence, I would like the DCX box to re-download everything, modules, apps, guide, etc.

Please post your findings here for me, I would be most greatful!
I JTAGGED your mom.
I was told that there is no such thing as a free lunch, I then learned through personal experience that the best things in life ARE FREE - Me

WE ARE ANONYMOUS, EXPECT US.

All posts/topics that I post in are completely hypothetical in real life and should not be taken seriously.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

MrRogers wrote:.... the key sequence for the Motorola DCX3501 front panel key sequence to get it to display boot ....
Front Panel Cold Reset Method for DCX3400 and DCX3501

Apply AC power to the DCX.
Once 8888 appears on the front panel LED, press and hold the menu key on the front panel until the front panel LEDs display boot.
The DCX will remain in this state indefinitely, waiting for user input.
Press the cursor up (arrow up) key on the front panel until the front panel LED displays cold.
Press the select key on the front panel.
The front panel LED will flash ‘----‘ followed by 8888 and the DCX3501-M will reset.
Once the reset is finished, the front panel LED will display ‘hunt’ until it finds an RF feed and/or a valid OOB channel.
Once an RF feed or valid OOB channel is found, the DCX will lock to it, and the hunt display will disappear.
MrRogers

Post by MrRogers »

Wolfgang wrote:Front Panel Cold Reset Method for DCX3400 and DCX3501

Apply AC power to the DCX.
Once 8888 appears on the front panel LED, press and hold the menu key on the front panel until the front panel LEDs display boot.
The DCX will remain in this state indefinitely, waiting for user input.
Press the cursor up (arrow up) key on the front panel until the front panel LED displays cold.
Press the select key on the front panel.
The front panel LED will flash ‘----‘ followed by 8888 and the DCX3501-M will reset.
Once the reset is finished, the front panel LED will display ‘hunt’ until it finds an RF feed and/or a valid OOB channel.
Once an RF feed or valid OOB channel is found, the DCX will lock to it, and the hunt display will disappear.
That didn't work for me bud :(

no boot on the front panel display. It goes right to the flashing block, then Conn, then to the channel. I never see anything different.

EDIT: Got it to work, what I had to do was keep tapping the menu button on the remote until it displayed boot.

So now lies the questions, what do I need to do to clear the eeprom on this particular model box? And How do I get it to re-download all the code modules :) If you would be so kind as to enlighten me I would greatly appreciate it :D
I JTAGGED your mom.
I was told that there is no such thing as a free lunch, I then learned through personal experience that the best things in life ARE FREE - Me

All posts/topics that I post in are completely hypothetical in real life and should not be taken seriously.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

MrRogers wrote:That didn't work for me bud :(

no boot on the front panel display. It goes right to the flashing block, then Conn, then to the channel. I never see anything different....
Here is a tip for this type of boxes with touch screen front panels:
You have to touch the Menu button within a couple of seconds whil it is still on the bright light. After the LED goes dimm, it is to late but if you do to early it is not going to work either. The timing is very critical. Now that you say you get "conn" that means it did not take the key sequence and it starts booting the OS. I have done cold reset this way on hundreds of DCX3501 literally without exagerating. Trust my word and if that doesn't work for you, it is either you don't catch it in due time or your box is not OK. The "conn" frase on the display means that your box recognizes the TV connected to the HDMI receptacle. When you see that it is already to late and the OS is loading.
Now if you want to do a fresh download of all the firmware/software once you get the boot on the LED, go down one step to get oob on the LED. Then press select and the box will start downloading fresh copy of everything. Unfortunately, this will diconnect the box and you will end up without a channel map and 0 on the LED. Now you will have to connect the box by calling the caco if you do this, be carefull.
MrRogers

Post by MrRogers »

Wolfgang wrote:Here is a tip for this type of boxes with touch screen front panels:
You have to touch the Menu button within a couple of seconds whil it is still on the bright light. After the LED goes dimm, it is to late but if you do to early it is not going to work either. The timing is very critical. Now that you say you get "conn" that means it did not take the key sequence and it starts booting the OS. I have done cold reset this way on hundreds of DCX3501 literally without exagerating. Trust my word and if that doesn't work for you, it is either you don't catch it in due time or your box is not OK. The "conn" frase on the display means that your box recognizes the TV connected to the HDMI receptacle. When you see that it is already to late and the OS is loading.
Now if you want to do a fresh download of all the firmware/software once you get the boot on the LED, go down one step to get oob on the LED. Then press select and the box will start downloading fresh copy of everything. Unfortunately, this will diconnect the box and you will end up without a channel map and 0 on the LED. Now you will have to connect the box by calling the caco if you do this, be carefull.
I just used the remote and kept tapping menu while the boxes power supply was re-plugged in. That did the trick, unfortunately with the DCX model boxes you need to have the caco re-hit the box to get your channels back :(

Yeah me calling the caco is out of the question if you catch my drift ;)
I JTAGGED your mom.