Use NT to read a bios chip?

Here we discuss the JTAG on platforms. CPU,CPLD etc.
syankey1970

Use NT to read a bios chip?

Post by syankey1970 »

I recently bought a Ibm Thinkpad off lease lappy and the bios has a supervisor password on it...lol. The seller cannot get the p/w but i found a few bits of info about reading the bios chip and i have the proper hex editor to read the info.

This isn't the dreaded bios lockout password so i can boot it fine...i just cannot update the bios or change the settings so it irritates me. i found a replacement mobo for cheap so i'm gonna get one just in case i need it...
I was simply wondering if anyone has done this with an NT because it's pretty common to get a locked lappy nowadays...
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

syankey1970 wrote:I recently bought a Ibm Thinkpad off lease lappy and the bios has a supervisor password on it...lol. The seller cannot get the p/w but i found a few bits of info about reading the bios chip and i have the proper hex editor to read the info.

This isn't the dreaded bios lockout password so i can boot it fine...i just cannot update the bios or change the settings so it irritates me. i found a replacement mobo for cheap so i'm gonna get one just in case i need it...
I was simply wondering if anyone has done this with an NT because it's pretty common to get a locked lappy nowadays...
Is it SPI flash? If yes it is likely you can use NT to read/write the flash.
buzzybuzzard

Try this

Post by buzzybuzzard »

syankey1970

Post by syankey1970 »

LOL

That is the link i got the decipher soft from...great article...just looking for another excuse to play with the NT. thanks for taking the time to reply..
ez.hackster

Post by ez.hackster »

usbbdm wrote:Is it SPI flash? If yes it is likely you can use NT to read/write the flash.
how would i connect the nt on the mobo to read/write to the bios and which config would i use??
MSI P45 PLATINUM || Q9400 QUAD @ 3.2 GHz|| 4GB MUSHKIN DDR2 1066MHZ || Thermaltake CL-P0401 V1 Cooler || 4870X2 || 320GB TOTAL || L.I.S LED INDICATOR/FAN CONTROLLER/PC MONITOR || SUNBEAM RED FAN CONTROL || CORSAIR 750WATT PSU :cool:
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

ez.hackster wrote:how would i connect the nt on the mobo to read/write to the bios and which config would i use??
If it is SPI flash then it is possible. You need to do some study and might need to create an XML for yourself based on the size of the flash.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

ez.hackster wrote:how would i connect the nt on the mobo to read/write to the bios and which config would i use??
I doubt you can. I do have a tool that will remove all passwords. First one need to determine what passwords are set. on IBM can have up to 3. With the tool all 3 can be wiped out in one shot.
ez.hackster

Post by ez.hackster »

CAPONE wrote:I doubt you can. I do have a tool that will remove all passwords. First one need to determine what passwords are set. on IBM can have up to 3. With the tool all 3 can be wiped out in one shot.
my ex came over and set passwords on both my ibms :mad: :( been trying to bypass it for some days now can you help me out with this? what kinda tool do you use and how would i use it? models are ibm t43 and my baby lenovo t510
MSI P45 PLATINUM || Q9400 QUAD @ 3.2 GHz|| 4GB MUSHKIN DDR2 1066MHZ || Thermaltake CL-P0401 V1 Cooler || 4870X2 || 320GB TOTAL || L.I.S LED INDICATOR/FAN CONTROLLER/PC MONITOR || SUNBEAM RED FAN CONTROL || CORSAIR 750WATT PSU :cool:
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

ez.hackster wrote:my ex came over and set passwords on both my ibms :mad: :( been trying to bypass it for some days now can you help me out with this? what kinda tool do you use and how would i use it? models are ibm t43 and my baby lenovo t510
Do you have a jumper on MB to clear the password?
ez.hackster

Post by ez.hackster »

usbbdm wrote:Do you have a jumper on MB to clear the password?
yea i tried clearing the cmos but it didnt remove the bios password
ez.hackster

Post by ez.hackster »

is there any way i could connect the nt to the bios and dump it or has that ever been tried before ?
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

ez.hackster wrote:my ex came over and set passwords on both my ibms :mad: :( been trying to bypass it for some days now can you help me out with this? what kinda tool do you use and how would i use it? models are ibm t43 and my baby lenovo t510
that's a pretty shitty xmas gift ain't it:o
live your life like a beer commericial
ez.hackster

Post by ez.hackster »

justsomeguy wrote:that's a pretty shitty xmas gift ain't it:o
yea this suxx :mad: and i got work to do
ez.hackster

Post by ez.hackster »

CAPONE wrote:I doubt you can. I do have a tool that will remove all passwords. First one need to determine what passwords are set. on IBM can have up to 3. With the tool all 3 can be wiped out in one shot.
any word on that tool of yours?
ez.hackster

Post by ez.hackster »

still need help i have the lenovo t510 and i need to get around the bios password any help??