Dct700

JTAG on dct2500/dct700
moddog

Dct700

Post by moddog »

Cc has done it again damn, a bom shell was drop in the middle of the day now all my boxes say please call your caco to sub. I wish it was Christmas i would ask santa for the gift to block keys change.
Good better best
Killswitch

Post by Killswitch »

Hey, BarkDog ! Bombs Away ! Go find a LockSmith. That kinda attack isn't very common in the Islands. You guys don't even have Comcast down there. I almost lost my marbles researching an answer to this dilemma. You need an Updated DES Video Encryption Key. And, it's not in NVRAM or FW . Unless you know Magic (a way to write to the XC) you're pounding sand up that giggy . A modified M Card would be great but the 700 doesn't have room for Seperable Security like that. That subject will NEVER (ever) become Public Domain. Everybody here will deny that it can be done. That's a serious subject for serious Testers. I'll leave it at that.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

moddog wrote:... all my boxes say please call your caco to sub ...
Sorry to hear that. How did you protect your boxes against deauthorization? How long since they were unsubbed before they got deauthorized?
Were your boxes sending feedback on the upstream asking to be deleted and did you prevent your data downstream to modify your built-in security chip?
I am just curious, the keys here in the west don't just change overnight.
macgyver12

Post by macgyver12 »

Wolfgang wrote:Sorry to hear that. How did you protect your boxes against deauthorization? How long since they were unsubbed before they got deauthorized?
Were your boxes sending feedback on the upstream asking to be deleted and did you prevent your data downstream to modify your built-in security chip?
I am just curious, the keys here in the west don't just change overnight.

Theres no 'protection' from a key change (assuming N/A is the error). Knowing moddog from seeing his posts in the forums, I can 'assume' he did everything properly to protect the boxes.

Unfortunately, depending on your area it seems, key changes can be anywhere from once every 1-2 years (the good ol' days) to once every 6 months, and lately, it seems in MA and other parts of the country, every 30-60 days seems to be the number.

You're issued 2 sets of keys at a time, current and future keys. Once a new key is pushed, you can see NO difference in service, so long as you have the future key, but your future key becomes your current, and if you're NOT subbed, you are NOT issued a future key. Once the cycle continues AGAIN, you now have no valid current OR future key, and then most are SOL.

So its really difficult to see how often key changes occur exactly, because you can sub TODAY, and a scheduled key push could be TOMORROW, and if you unsubbed or modified the box TODAY, you wont get tomorrows future key, and you could be left with a 30 day cycle. OR you could sub today, mod the box, and scheduled key change occurs 30 days later, and you manage to get 60 days outta the box (assuming of course its every 30 days, just spitting out a random number)

Either way, the CC sux!
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

macgyver12 wrote:Theres no 'protection' from a key change (assuming N/A is the error). Knowing moddog from seeing his posts in the forums, I can 'assume' he did everything properly to protect the boxes.

Unfortunately, depending on your area it seems, key changes can be anywhere from once every 1-2 years (the good ol' days) to once every 6 months, and lately, it seems in MA and other parts of the country, every 30-60 days seems to be the number.

You're issued 2 sets of keys at a time, current and future keys. Once a new key is pushed, you can see NO difference in service, so long as you have the future key, but your future key becomes your current, and if you're NOT subbed, you are NOT issued a future key. Once the cycle continues AGAIN, you now have no valid current OR future key, and then most are SOL.

So its really difficult to see how often key changes occur exactly, because you can sub TODAY, and a scheduled key push could be TOMORROW, and if you unsubbed or modified the box TODAY, you wont get tomorrows future key, and you could be left with a 30 day cycle. OR you could sub today, mod the box, and scheduled key change occurs 30 days later, and you manage to get 60 days outta the box (assuming of course its every 30 days, just spitting out a random number)

Either way, the CC sux!
True That..................... But!!!!!!!!!!!, You Know there is a way around that.......... ;)
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
macgyver12

Post by macgyver12 »

LOL. I've been told. I'll have to regretfully pass on that method for the time being.
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

CAPONE wrote:True That..................... But!!!!!!!!!!!, You Know there is a way around that.......... ;)
macgyver12 wrote:LOL. I've been told. I'll have to regretfully pass on that method for the time being.
I haven't known you to pass on different methods there buddy !!!
live your life like a beer commericial
moddog

Post by moddog »

This box was last hit with a key change about 3yrs back.@ capone now you make my head ache.
Good better best
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

moddog wrote:This box was last hit with a key change about 3yrs back.@ capone now you make my head ache.
I guess we were lucky so far but it may come soon this way. Anyway, even if it happens I am not a TV addict.
One thing is for sure my wife will kill me if I don't make it to work, one way or another, LOL.
moddog

Post by moddog »

Wolfgang wrote:I guess we were lucky so far but it may come soon this way. Anyway, even if it happens I am not a TV addict.
One thing is for sure my wife will kill me if I don't make it to work, one way or another, LOL.
dwl, well i keep my wife a way from the tv that means more time for me,the kids is the problem so anyways we take it, it of to work.
Good better best
coyote cojo

Post by coyote cojo »

Time to call the friend that has the latest updated dump,so that you cAN hook up that jtag. Nah call CC to update your keys though.
r3zon8

Post by r3zon8 »

ive been on/off these forums for years now and i dont know or have been pointed in the right direction to protect from key changes.

i agree that if key changes are now cron'ed for my area my best solution would be to learn whatever method it is i need to protect from key changes.

any tips/hints?
smurf617

Post by smurf617 »

moddog wrote:Cc has done it again damn, a bom shell was drop in the middle of the day now all my boxes say please call your caco to sub. I wish it was Christmas i would ask santa for the gift to block keys change.
Try geting your hands on a arcom filter for your tier on ur cable network to block the oob 2 way communicaton channels that ur box is online but shows offline in the occult menu
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

r3zon8 wrote:... method it is i need to protect from key changes. Any tips/hints?
You don't need protection from key changes because Key Change happens and what you need is a new set of keys, your old keys are useless.
@ smurf617 Your Arcom High Pass filter will not do any good regarding the Key Change. It would block frequencies below 54 MHz. The only benefit it will do is to prevent charging your account for Pay Per View events if you are subbed and it will make your box a non-responder (not sending back info via upstream frequency). I haven't heard of Arcom filters to block the OOB downstream, if there are such filters they need to block the spectrum from 70 to 120 MHz. In such a case it will prevent de-authorizing the box but then again, it will not help anything when the Key Change happens.
I hope this clarifies the confusion regarding the keys. It was all discussed in the previous posts of this thread though.
justsomeguy

Post by justsomeguy »

Wolfgang wrote:You don't need protection from key changes because Key Change happens and what you need is a new set of keys, your old keys are useless.
@ smurf617 Your Arcom High Pass filter will not do any good regarding the Key Change. It would block frequencies below 54 MHz. The only benefit it will do is to prevent charging your account for Pay Per View events if you are subbed and it will make your box a non-responder (not sending back info via upstream frequency). I haven't heard of Arcom filters to block the OOB downstream, if there are such filters they need to block the spectrum from 70 to 120 MHz. In such a case it will prevent de-authorizing the box but then again, it will not help anything when the Key Change happens.
I hope this clarifies the confusion regarding the keys. It was all discussed in the previous posts of this thread though.

well said wolfgang !

people should start realizing that they do NOT need these filters that were used wayyyyy long time ago..they are pretty much a waste of money now adays.
live your life like a beer commericial