is nvram same for same city/town?

NVRAM related issues.
FANTASYCABLEGUYREADY

is nvram same for same city/town?

Post by FANTASYCABLEGUYREADY »

can one of you pro's tell me if then nvram is the same code within the same town? what would be considered a good nvram as opposed to a bad one?thanks
usbbdm

Re: is nvram same for same city/town?

Post by usbbdm »

FANTASYCABLEGUYREADY wrote:can one of you pro's tell me if then nvram is the same code within the same town? what would be considered a good nvram as opposed to a bad one?thanks
NVRAM must be different from box to box. But NVRAM can be transfered to another box if the board type is the same and if it is from the same city, it can considered "same". If you clone NVRAM from another city, your channel map is different and you might not receive the channels in your city.
dasein

Post by dasein »

So If I find a box from my area, the channel map should be the same and I can just connect box w/ usbjtag etc. and should be OK? Or if I buy another box with same board as the one I have to return soon,I could copy NVRAM and load it and connect? I have tons more reading to do, so forgive me if these are basic, but I am just trying to get on the right page. Thanks
patsfan

Post by patsfan »

copying the nvram is only half the equation. if the box you are cloning to doesn't have it's xc chip auth for the same channels then you won't get them. the xc chip controls all the security features of the box.
dasein

Post by dasein »

So I need to find a box from my area so the XC chip has been authorized to same channels as on NVRAM?
patsfan

Post by patsfan »

that is the best bet. the chance you take is that the CC didn't already deauth the xc chip of the box. if they have then copyimg a good nvram won't get you the channels. it's kind of a crap shoot to find a good box with alot of channels open on it. some CC's only disconnect the box and don't send commands to deauth the box.
FANTASYCABLEGUYREADY

what /how is a nvram not considered good?we keep saying the nvram has to be good . do you mean one for your own area is considered good,if i load a nvram from my town to a dct that i got out of town/area and connect it doesnt work that does not mean the nvram is bad right? maybe all nvram is good if,if,its loaded in the proper town ,then the other equations of the puzzle come into play.hope this helps others too.
patsfan

Post by patsfan »

yes a good nvram is needed. my point is that even with a good nvram whe you connect the box it doesn't mean you will get all the channels you were hoping for. if the xc chip isn't auth for a certain channel then you won't get it. it doesn't matter if the nvram came from a box with all the premiums etc.
FANTASYCABLEGUYREADY

i put a good nvram on(from another area not far) and i get some channels and i can order ppv no premiums. but the channel map is not the same ,nvram and or box came from different area,not far away another town.and i "connect the box" feature.i assume i can clear the ppv if it fills up?what about map will it do it on its own?
dasein

Post by dasein »

So is it necessary that the XC chip is from my area to connect? I thought I read somewhere that it has to have been in the network in the past for an ID to be recognized?
patsfan

Post by patsfan »

no box doesn't have to be local to connect. but if you want a chance at getting any premium channels then it has to be local box that has it's xc chip auth for them. the "connect the box feature only turns on whatever channels were auth before the box was shut off. (disconnected)

you are correct that if it is a local box and the unit address has been in the CC's database, the may do a periodic clean up and send a deauth command to old numbers. in this case if you have a box with lots of channels auth'd on it, you should install the ABAC firmware to stop them from deauth your channles.
FANTASYCABLEGUYREADY

should i use abac or change the boxes id .thought i read its safer to clone another id.thanks
patsfan

Post by patsfan »

abac. changing id does not change id in the xc chip. it will still receive the commands from CC.
FANTASYCABLEGUYREADY

PATSFAN,I CANT LOCATE ABAC CODE , ANYONE?THANKS
cipher

Post by cipher »

You can block the commands with one of two methods.

1) Use the ABAC firmware http://usbjtag.com/download/authBlockconnect.zip

2) Use a fake address http://usbjtag.com/download/SPILgUnitadd.zip

http://usbjtag.com/firmware.php