How to restore channels?

Test on DCT 2224/2244 using USB BDM.
Drbuzzo

How to restore channels?

Post by Drbuzzo »

Alright, I guess you could call this a n00b kind of question - I used the BDM a while ago but took it out again recently and started messing around with it.

If I understand correctly, it is not possible to add channels to a box that has not previously had them authorized but it is possible to re-enable channels that the box previously had been subscribed to.

I have a DCT2224 which is currently in just "basic cable" mode - it gets the analog channels, it gets a few of the digital basic channels but no premiums except HBO (the basic package includes one premium of your choice).

When I first got the box about a year and a half ago, it received nearly every channel, but that was a short-term promotional thing. Is there any way to re-enable the channels that have since been turned off?
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

It is too late to do so. Your CC hit your box and deauthed the channels. If you faked UID before they end the promotion you can keep those channels. If you had SPI log of that time and play the SPI the it is possible to get those channels back.
Drbuzzo

Post by Drbuzzo »

I kinda figured that. Actually, the cable company were I live does not activate channels on the cable box, rather, they do the opposite. When you get a new cable box from the cable company, it gets all the channels - basic channels, premium, special interest, foreign language etc. Everything is turned on by default and the only channels not open are the PPV channels.

After about 24 to 48 hours, a command comes down the pipe telling it which channels to shut off.

I assume that the reason they do this is to prevent people from getting impatient and upset when they get their brand new package and it doesn't work until the command comes down to turn it on - thus they do it the other way to make sure it will work out of the box.
pasor

Post by pasor »

usbbdm wrote:It is too late to do so. Your CC hit your box and deauthed the channels. If you faked UID before they end the promotion you can keep those channels. If you had SPI log of that time and play the SPI the it is possible to get those channels back.
How do you get a SPI from a box, any special commands???????????
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

SPI is the command from CPU to the XC chip. On DCT2224, special firmware can made the SPI command logged to the serial port.
Auth commands are also logged include deauth. The SPI command can be played with special firmware on the box running in RAM and PC issue command on serial port. This is only for testing and if you faked the UID there is no need to play SPI command.
pasor

Post by pasor »

usbbdm wrote:SPI is the command from CPU to the XC chip. On DCT2224, special firmware can made the SPI command logged to the serial port.
Auth commands are also logged include deauth. The SPI command can be played with special firmware on the box running in RAM and PC issue command on serial port. This is only for testing and if you faked the UID there is no need to play SPI command.
Thank-you.
Drbuzzo

Post by Drbuzzo »

If I get a new cable box from the CC, is there a way to keep it set to receive all channels and not be de-auth'ed?

I think there is a two-way communication process, so if it seemed to confirm it was de-authored but really was not?
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

If you got a new box you would need to fake the uid and block the commands to the xc chip. This should stop them from removing the channels.
Drbuzzo

Post by Drbuzzo »

jatucker wrote:If you got a new box you would need to fake the uid and block the commands to the xc chip. This should stop them from removing the channels.
Okay, I think I can figure that out and I'm not normally the type to ask someone to hold my hand when it comes to doing this kind of thing, but I only get one shot at this so let me make sure I get this:

I change the UID, presumably to just something random? I think?

Then how do block commands to the XC chip?
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Fake UID already block the auth command to XC chip.
GonzoRocks

Post by GonzoRocks »

Sorry for the noob question and thread hijacking, but if I get a box that was previously deauthed by the CC I can't restore any channels, correct?
And a dump from a different box won't work, correct?
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

GonzoRocks wrote:Sorry for the noob question and thread hijacking, but if I get a box that was previously deauthed by the CC I can't restore any channels, correct?
And a dump from a different box won't work, correct?
Correct on both questions.