Copy NVRAM from one DCT to another DCT from a different system?

Test on DCT 2224/2244 using USB BDM.
DSS4Free

Copy NVRAM from one DCT to another DCT from a different system?

Post by DSS4Free »

OK, so here is my question. I just bought a BDM and want to answer myself some questions before I get the cable.

So, I have a 2224 and a 2244 sitting here at home from a Mediacom system. One is dead I think. At power up, it gets blank screen, then 8888 for a brief second, then backto blank. It just keeps doing that.

Here is the deal though. These 2 boxes are from a Mediacom system and they have my current channel lineup. HOWEVER, I work for a different cable company and we send the boxes out the door wide open until we add them to an account and it takes a hit.

What I want to do is copy the channel lineup and Mediacom crap to one of the DCTs that I have from the CC that I work for. IN ESSENCE, since the box is wide open, all I need to do is copy NVRAM from Mediacom box to one of the boxes that is about to fall off my truck. This will get me all channels, is that correct? Please advise on if this will work. Thanks
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

Not likely to work. You might get lucky but the xc chip is programmed for the cc where you work and not the one in the area you live. These are not only company specific but in many cases the are specific to a head end. Now if you could get a box from the area you live which is wide open you can keep it connected.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

DSS4Free wrote:OK, so here is my question. I just bought a BDM and want to answer myself some questions before I get the cable.

So, I have a 2224 and a 2244 sitting here at home from a Mediacom system. One is dead I think. At power up, it gets blank screen, then 8888 for a brief second, then backto blank. It just keeps doing that.

Here is the deal though. These 2 boxes are from a Mediacom system and they have my current channel lineup. HOWEVER, I work for a different cable company and we send the boxes out the door wide open until we add them to an account and it takes a hit.

What I want to do is copy the channel lineup and Mediacom crap to one of the DCTs that I have from the CC that I work for. IN ESSENCE, since the box is wide open, all I need to do is copy NVRAM from Mediacom box to one of the boxes that is about to fall off my truck. This will get me all channels, is that correct? Please advise on if this will work. Thanks
Worth a try. I had 2 dct700 here that are no good One was from rcn It had no channels after writing a backup of dct700 from my area it now gets all the locals. So who knows without testing However just copying the NVRAM I don't think will do the trick. If you get the same model box (Same board rev. IE PH6,Ph7,PH8) then make full backup and write that to the box you want to test , I think would be a better Approach. As for the dead Boxes Its a good thing you practice with them. Also you can fix the one that keeps reseting itself , This will be good DeBricking Practice for you.

PS
Make sure when the box falls of the truck it lands on a Soft Surface. :D
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
DSS4Free

Post by DSS4Free »

OK, now channel auth is stored in the XC chip though...correct? Therefore, if I copy NVRAM from one of my wide open boxes to a Mediacom box, the Mediacom box will only get the channels that it was originally authed for since that is in the XC chip...correct?

This is a totally different ball game from programming Rom10 cards for E*, but I guess it is time to learn something new anyway. Thanks for all your replies.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

DSS4Free wrote:OK, now channel auth is stored in the XC chip though...correct? Therefore, if I copy NVRAM from one of my wide open boxes to a Mediacom box, the Mediacom box will only get the channels that it was originally authed for since that is in the XC chip...correct?

This is a totally different ball game from programming Rom10 cards for E*, but I guess it is time to learn something new anyway. Thanks for all your replies.
In theory it should work so worth the try. And Yes this is way different than doing rom10's and rom102's LOL Cant wait to do G3 :D
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
jatucker

Post by jatucker »

DSS4Free wrote:OK, now channel auth is stored in the XC chip though...correct? Therefore, if I copy NVRAM from one of my wide open boxes to a Mediacom box, the Mediacom box will only get the channels that it was originally authed for since that is in the XC chip...correct?

But the auth is specific for company and many times area. You might get lucky. I have not been so lucky. The same cable co. from one city to the next is different and the boxes cannot be moved around. Of course like Tundra said it's always worth a try it can't hurt anything, just don't get your hopes up too high.