No Sound on DCT 2224 (SPDIF Issue)

Test on DCT 2224/2244 using USB BDM.
cingularv551

No Sound on DCT 2224 (SPDIF Issue)

Post by cingularv551 »

I have a handful of dct 2224 ph7 & ph8 cable boxes that i am attempting to use on my cable system. The boxes are all authed in the xc chip for a decent subscription package, however I get video but no sound on all the channels.

I suspect that this has something to do with the SPDIF configuration of the cable box. On my ph8 box that has the dolby decoder chip & spdif coax port on the back, i do get sound out of the box through the spdif port. However, i do not get any sound out of the other ph7 & ph8 boxes without the spdif port and dolby decoder chip onboard.

The boxes with the no sound problem all seem to think that there is dolby hardware onboard even though there isn't. When i look in the debug menus that you get to by pressing the power button follwed by the select key, the "04 Audio/Video Status" screen has a PCM entry under the "Audio SPIF" entry. On an old cr4 box that does have working sound output through the left & right stereo rca ports, the "Audio SPDIF" entry has "N/A" listed beside it.

Does anyone have ideas about how to get sound out of these troublesome cable boxes?
cingularv551

Post by cingularv551 »

This problem appears to be a software issue rather than a hardware issue. If I write the following nvram to the cablebox, i do get sound out of the rear rca stereo ports:

viewtopic.php?t=5880

However, my cable company only broadcasts a handful of analog channels. So the cable boxes are of limited use with this nvram installed.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

This is the configuration of the box in NVRAM. You need to play with the NVRAM and find which parameter contribute to the sound.
cingularv551

Post by cingularv551 »

can i use a CR4 nvram file on a PH7 cable box?
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

It does not hurt. Just try and see if it works.
cherrymachine

cr4 nvram

Post by cherrymachine »

cannot mix nvrams. can use channel map portion, but if you use the entire file the tuner software for that perticular box is in nvram, therefore you tuner wont function. As far as volume is concerened, if your pictures are not clear, is an old channel map. if the pics clear on all channels, the box has its own volume control. On your remote hit cable, hold setup till flashes, 9 9 3 volume up. now use the volume buttons.