Motorola PH9 Problems

Backup of earlier posts.
dotrat

Motorola PH9 Problems

Post by dotrat »

Well....I tried searching my ass off so as to not piss anyone off.

Problem: I plug my bdm into my ph9 board....fine.
I then plug the usb cable into my laptop.....a snap sound comes from the box....(trip)....shuts down the box....the laptop registers the USB connection as malfunctioning. I unplug everything.....the box comes right back up. I lined up pin 1 correctly....and can't find any trace of a watchdog and have used 2 different PC's running XP Pro SP2.

Now what ????
reene4525

Post by reene4525 »

Type in "reset". Box should come on.
dotrat

tried

Post by dotrat »

the software is not seeing the BDM.....tried using the reset command....nothing
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

Remove the BDM from box and see if your laptop can recognize the USB. If yes, try to reverse the BDM connector. If you have VNC installed let me know and I might be able to help you.
dotrat

tried

Post by dotrat »

disconnected the bdm from the board.....reconnected it to my laptop usb port....still wont recognize bdm even if not connected to the board....I can get VNC going if you need this to troubleshoot.....but I need to open 5800 on my firewall.......let me know
kai

Post by kai »

I'm new to this, but it sounds like you have the box plugged in first. The box should be plugged in last, followed by reset 1 etc.
usbbdm

Re: tried

Post by usbbdm »

dotrat wrote:disconnected the bdm from the board.....reconnected it to my laptop usb port....still wont recognize bdm even if not connected to the board....I can get VNC going if you need this to troubleshoot.....but I need to open 5800 on my firewall.......let me know
Can you try another computer?
dotrat

tried

Post by dotrat »

I have used both my desktop and the laptop with the same results....
patsfan

Post by patsfan »

did you instal the usb driver for the bdm board? when you hook everything up does anything show up in device manager?
dotrat

yup

Post by dotrat »

I did.....The device manager shows the BDM as an unknown device. I tried installing both manually and from the setup.exe. I even went in and made sure the drivers where in their proper directories. At this point I think I may have a defective BDM......but I will keep trying based on any advice given.

There doesn't seem to be much experience in these forums relating to the PH9 board.....so this could end up being a good learning experience for everyone.
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

dotrat, Each BDM was tested before ship. Please install VNC and let me know your address, I can help you set everything up. I know someone already make it work on PH9 board with BDM.
toyotatacoma

Post by toyotatacoma »

I had the same problem with My bdm on one of my pc's, tried it on the other, worked fine! now only if there was a 64bit driver for the bdm :P

The 'snap' was mostlikely the sound you get when the box powers on/off
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

If you hear the sound when you plug in the BDM, mostly it is working. But this does happened to one of my friend's machine.
I use Cypress EZUSB chip and if you happened to use EZUSB on your computer, your USB device will not be called ezusb-0 (which I embedded in the code), could be ezusb-1.
If that is the case, use binary editor to open the usbbdm.exe and serch for
"ezusb-0" and replace with "ezusb-1". Keep a backup of the old copy but I still think it is unlikely the case.
dotrat

editor

Post by dotrat »

Searched for ezusb-0 and ezusb-1 within the usbbdm.exe using the hackman hex editor.....the software couldn't find either entry.... Wouldn't my pc recognize the bdm without using the usbbdm.exe ?

What now?
usbbdm

Re: editor

Post by usbbdm »

dotrat wrote:Searched for ezusb-0 and ezusb-1 within the usbbdm.exe using the hackman hex editor.....the software couldn't find either entry.... Wouldn't my pc recognize the bdm without using the usbbdm.exe ?

What now?
Only when you can hear the sound to try this.
The address is around 0x5a420. "ezusb-0" is there. Also if you can setup VNC I can help you to set it up.