ArrisTM502g issue

Routers, VOIP devices, etc.
nemesis1

ArrisTM502g issue

Post by nemesis1 »

hi dedicated testers i hope i'm not asking a dumb question here but why in those arris tm502g modems while reading and about to erase boot or write to to the flash the other chip tends to overheat,i have bricked 2 of those and 1 of the 602g,i have successfully cloned about 10 of the 602g's and none of the 502's,the reason they got bricked is that i tried to put the 602g dump into a 502g,i thought it may work tho i have checked the both dumps with hex editor and they seems to be the same,i may have missed something but i would like to know where i went off,and any info in relation to the overheating any help will be greatly appreciated
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

nemesis1 wrote:hi dedicated testers i hope i'm not asking a dumb question here but why in those arris tm502g modems while reading and about to erase boot or write to to the flash the other chip tends to overheat,i have bricked 2 of those and 1 of the 602g,i have successfully cloned about 10 of the 602g's and none of the 502's,the reason they got bricked is that i tried to put the 602g dump into a 502g,i thought it may work tho i have checked the both dumps with hex editor and they seems to be the same,i may have missed something but i would like to know where i went off,and any info in relation to the overheating any help will be greatly appreciated
Why not clone 502 to 502's. For what you say looks like your bricking them buy puting wrong info. Clearly you need to do some reading to understand what can and cant be done. Maybe Swaping the Certs Only Won't Kill the Modem. You may want to look into that..........
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

nemesis1 wrote:hi dedicated testers i hope i'm not asking a dumb question here but why in those arris tm502g modems while reading and about to erase boot or write to to the flash the other chip tends to overheat,i have bricked 2 of those and 1 of the 602g,i have successfully cloned about 10 of the 602g's and none of the 502's,the reason they got bricked is that i tried to put the 602g dump into a 502g,i thought it may work tho i have checked the both dumps with hex editor and they seems to be the same,i may have missed something but i would like to know where i went off,and any info in relation to the overheating any help will be greatly appreciated
You should not try to clone firmware from different models. It will not work.
As of overheat check your connection. When connect USB JTAG NT it should not cause any heat issue. Be careful since you might damage the device.

If you have good backup of tm502g you should be able to fix it. Only use sprogram when it is bricked and program the boot with slow programming speed. After boot is programmed and confirmed then program with fast speed.
nemesis1

Post by nemesis1 »

i have a good backup but cant detect flash,and i did read and understand the procedures,that's why i test and apply and learn from the errors made,and this is what i get when i try to detect.
Copyright (C) 2010,2011,2012
USB JTAG NT 0.54
Target: TM502G
-detect
IDCODE 0000100F
TI TNETC4401
IMPCODE 41404000
EJTAG V1, V2.0
DMA not supoorted
Unknown flash type!
Report these values http://www.usbjtag.com/vbforum e0fd,8b4c
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

nemesis1 wrote:i have a good backup but cant detect flash,and i did read and understand the procedures,that's why i test and apply and learn from the errors made,and this is what i get when i try to detect.
USB JTAG NT 0.54
Target: TM502G
-detect
IDCODE 0000100F
TI TNETC4401
IMPCODE 41404000
EJTAG V1, V2.0
DMA not supoorted
Unknown flash type!
Report these values http://www.usbjtag.com/vbforum e0fd,8b4c
When you have bad boot on the device, it become harder to debrick.
Try this. (speed s)
use
tap c
tap a ffffffff
detect
see if you get flash detected.
If not then you might consider use CE method. This method is to let CE high and force the CPU to DEBUG ON (tap command). Then remove CE and detect again, erase the flash and use sprogram.

Those modems are a little bit harder when it gets bricked. The idea is to get detected first. if you failed to detect flash there is one more command is to SET the flash type and then use poke command sequence to erase the flash. (Still need DEBUG ON).

For typical AMD flash use command
pokeh address+aaaa aaaa
pokeh address+5554 5555
pokeh address+aaaa 8080
pokeh address+aaaa aaaa
pokeh address+5554 5555
pokeh address 3030

Where address is your flash block(eg. 90000000 or 9fc00000).
If it is intel chip the command will be
pokeh address 5050
pokeh address 6060
pokeh address 5050
pokeh address 2020

Hope you can find a way to debrick it.

I am not sure if this is a BYTE mode or not. use configshow. If it is BYTE mode then all above command should change from pokeh to pokeb.
This method should apply to all the devices when you cannot detect the flash,.
nemesis1

Post by nemesis1 »

hey guys i have tried the commands that was given by usbbdm and somehow it really poked something in the chip it stopped overheating :) but i was still not able to detect the flash..but i can read from the Boot to Allflash,in order to write i get the "must detect flash" also i tried the the xbox config and got something,but i'll keep on testing.

USB JTAG NT 0.54
Target: XBOX360
-flshdct 0
Found Address= 00000000 HY27US08281A
usbbdm

Post by usbbdm »

nemesis1 wrote:hey guys i have tried the commands that was given by usbbdm and somehow it really poked something in the chip it stopped overheating :) but i was still not able to detect the flash..but i can read from the Boot to Allflash,in order to write i get the "must detect flash" also i tried the the xbox config and got something,but i'll keep on testing.

USB JTAG NT 0.54
Target: XBOX360
-flshdct 0
Found Address= 00000000 HY27US08281A
DO NOT USE XBOX. That is NAND chip. You do not need NAND chip to detect it.
nemesis1

Post by nemesis1 »

hey guys i have tried bit by bit to de-brick but no luck,but i have thought of removing the flash chip and replacing it with another of of the same type and try to flash from there, am i making the right decision? will that option work? or is there more to it.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

nemesis1 wrote:hey guys i have tried bit by bit to de-brick but no luck,but i have thought of removing the flash chip and replacing it with another of of the same type and try to flash from there, am i making the right decision? will that option work? or is there more to it.
It will work so long as you have an external programmer. But thats More dificult and some really good tools needed so you won't damage the MOBO Pads. If you have never done this Before then IT'S THE WRONG DECISION.......
nemesis1

Post by nemesis1 »

well i have removed ram chips from ddr memory stick before and replaced it with the same just for curiosity and worked,but this i know will be complicated but i'm willing to try anyway..but i do not have an idea on the type of equipment/tools needed..can i get a listing if possible please.
tools as in to program externally and so fort.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

nemesis1 wrote:well i have removed ram chips from ddr memory stick before and replaced it with the same just for curiosity and worked,but this i know will be complicated but i'm willing to try anyway..but i do not have an idea on the type of equipment/tools needed..can i get a listing if possible please.
Hot Air Soldering station, Mine costed $900 even thou there a cheaper ones out there as well as Cheaper tools that can get the job done with less Quality of corse.
External Flash Reader Programmer, One can be made with an SB5101 For example. Those 2 R A Must if you intend to read and Program flash, and remove and re Mount the flash.
nemesis1

Post by nemesis1 »

CAPONE wrote:Hot Air Soldering station, Mine costed $900 even thou there a cheaper ones out there as well as Cheaper tools that can get the job done with less Quality of corse.
External Flash Reader Programmer, One can be made with an SB5101 For example. Those 2 R A Must if you intend to read and Program flash, and remove and re Mount the flash.
nice..i have a hot air gun and i shall be receiving the tips (close to pencil tip) sometime next week..and you said ''External Flash Reader Programmer, One can be made with an SB5101 For example'' if i understand clearly is that i can program the flash using the 5101 as a medium..so to speak,if so I truly greatly appreciate the info.
nemesis1

Post by nemesis1 »

hey guys i checked my sb5101 the flash chip were different so i tried a dcp2100r2 and its the exact flash chip..so i pulled the working flash chip and soldered it to the arris modem and jtagnt didn't detect flash,so im going to place it back into to 2100r2 flash the 502g dump into it or try to..and place it back into the arris..i were pleased that i securely removed the flash from one to another without problems,but i'm still trying i will try for another method,which is this ''True-USB PRO GQ-4X Willem Programmer'',should i or should i not? and continue trying the methods mentioned.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

nemesis1 wrote:hey guys i checked my sb5101 the flash chip were different so i tried a dcp2100r2 and its the exact flash chip..so i pulled the working flash chip and soldered it to the arris modem and jtagnt didn't detect flash,so im going to place it back into to 2100r2 flash the 502g dump into it or try to..and place it back into the arris..i were pleased that i securely removed the flash from one to another without problems,but i'm still trying i will try for another method,which is this ''True-USB PRO GQ-4X Willem Programmer'',should i or should i not? and continue trying the methods mentioned.
There should be no reason for you not to be able to detect the TM602G Other than a connection Problem.