Help with program security

Anything you want to talk that is not fit in other forums. Do not spam. The threads might get deleted if not appropriate

Moderator: justsomeguy

minipower

Help with program security

Post by minipower »

Hey guys
Anyone able to point me in the right direction to crack the security on a Visual C program that gives me this error when I run it on my computer.

I opened it with IDA, I don't know how to use IDA, but nothing stood out to me, to give me an idea how to make it run without having a company formatted USB drive

There is also a xml file in another folder, and when I open it in notepad, I do not see anything that would let me run it without the company formated USB drive

This is the error I get when I try to run it

Tech Wizard could not load the main configuration file. Tech Wizard is designed to run from a USB drive that has been imaged from a company supplied computer. Please do not try to copy TechWizard.exe to another location and run it from there
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

minipower wrote:Hey guys
Anyone able to point me in the right direction to crack the security on a Visual C program that gives me this error when I run it on my computer.

I opened it with IDA, I don't know how to use IDA, but nothing stood out to me, to give me an idea how to make it run without having a company formatted USB drive

There is also a xml file in another folder, and when I open it in notepad, I do not see anything that would let me run it without the company formated USB drive

This is the error I get when I try to run it

Tech Wizard could not load the main configuration file. Tech Wizard is designed to run from a USB drive that has been imaged from a company supplied computer. Please do not try to copy TechWizard.exe to another location and run it from there
Does this have anything to do with USBJTAG NT or USBBDM NT?
If NOT then this may not be the Proper Forum for you to find answeres.

Does that have anything to do with this?????

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your ... i-p/248979
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
minipower

Post by minipower »

Ya that verizon program is the samething. But there is other stuff in it other than what that post says.

I asked about it here in the off topic area, in hopes someone might be able to help.

There seems to be a .enc file that has something to do with encrypting the program to the flash drive
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

minipower wrote:Ya that verizon program is the samething. But there is other stuff in it other than what that post says.

I asked about it here in the off topic area, in hopes someone might be able to help.

There seems to be a .enc file that has something to do with encrypting the program to the flash drive
What from your Point of View is Usefull about this Program? For what I Found on line, Its best to stay away from it.
"If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."
minipower

Post by minipower »

with the talk about how it adds a bunch of crap on the computer, must be at the installer discretion, The installer didn't install that stuff on mine.

Also the installer used techwizard to activate the stb's and router. So the program must talk to the headend.

It is looking like the usbdrive is formated and programs installed from a verizon computer and the .enc file might be the usbdrive id, to make sure it isn't used on an unauthorized computer/usbdrive.
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

minipower wrote:with the talk about how it adds a bunch of crap on the computer, must be at the installer discretion, The installer didn't install that stuff on mine.

Also the installer used techwizard to activate the stb's and router. So the program must talk to the headend.

It is looking like the usbdrive is formated and programs installed from a verizon computer and the .enc file might be the usbdrive id, to make sure it isn't used on an unauthorized computer/usbdrive.
So in other words your trying to hack the software in the hopes of using it to activate STB's and CM's?
minipower

Post by minipower »

It could be said like that. But I am more interested in how it communicates
CAPONE

Post by CAPONE »

minipower wrote:it could be said like that. But i am more interested in how it communicates
lol ok.....